Nightshade astronomy simulator launched

  • bergieberglund
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 30, 2009
      Hi all,

      Digitalis is pleased to announce the official launch of the Nightshade project. Nightshade is open source astronomy simulation and visualization software specifically tailored to digital planetarium and educator use.

      Nightshade is a fork of the award-winning Stellarium software, and this community supported project is vendor neutral.

      More details here: http://digitaliseducation.com/press-20091230.html

      Currently a preview release is available for Windows and Linux. The project is looking for a developer who could build a Mac OS X package.

      We would like to ask your help in spreading the word and building up a thriving community of supporters and contributors.

      Best wishes for 2010!
      Karrie

      --
      Digitalis Education Solutions, Inc.
      P.O. Box 2976

      http://DigitalisEducation.com
    • greggyvt1
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 2, 2010
        Hi Karrie,

        Thanks so much for making Nightshade. I downloaded the source code, but I must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do things in terminals, I just don't know how.

        Anyone willing to guide me through installing?

        Thanks again!
      • bergieberglund
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
          Hey Greg,

          Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town for a conference this week, and checking email has been more difficult than I expected.

          I would recommend posting your question in the Q&A section on the Nightshade site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/), then click on the Q&A link along the left side of the page.

          Rob, Digitalis' president, will post a reply to your question there. That way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.

          Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!

          Cheers,
          Karrie

          --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "greggyvt1" <greggyvt1@...> wrote:

          > Hi Karrie,
          >
          > Thanks so much for making Nightshade. I downloaded the source code, but I must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do things in terminals, I just don't know how.
          >
          > Anyone willing to guide me through installing?
          >
          > Thanks again!

        • jonesalley
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4, 2010
            Is this going to be an online Digitarium upgrade or more of a manual process like the previous question seemed to indicate?

            --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@...> wrote:

            > Hey Greg,
            >
            > Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town for a conference this week, and checking email has been more difficult than I expected.
            >
            > I would recommend posting your question in the Q&A section on the Nightshade site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/), then click on the Q&A link along the left side of the page.
            >
            > Rob, Digitalis' president, will post a reply to your question there. That way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.
            >
            > Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Karrie
            >
            > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "greggyvt1" <greggyvt1@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi Karrie,
            > >
            > > Thanks so much for making Nightshade. I downloaded the source code, but I must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do things in terminals, I just don't know how.
            > >
            > > Anyone willing to guide me through installing?
            > >
            > > Thanks again!

          • bergieberglund
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 6, 2010
              Hey Jon,

              Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.

              In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.

              Cheers,
              Karrie

              --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "jonesalley" <jonesalley@...> wrote:

              > Is this going to be an online Digitarium upgrade or more of a manual process like the previous question seemed to indicate?
              >

              > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hey Greg,
              > >
              > > Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town for a conference this week, and checking email has been more difficult than I expected.
              > >
              > > I would recommend posting your question in the Q&A section on the Nightshade site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/), then click on the Q&A link along the left side of the page.
              > >
              > > Rob, Digitalis' president, will post a reply to your question there. That way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.
              > >
              > > Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!
              > >
              > > Cheers,
              > > Karrie
              > >
              > > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "greggyvt1" <greggyvt1@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Hi Karrie,
              > > >
              > > > Thanks so much for making Nightshade. I downloaded the source code, but I must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do things in terminals, I just don't know how.
              > > >
              > > > Anyone willing to guide me through installing?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks again!

            • bergieberglund
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 6, 2010
                Hey Jon,

                Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.

                In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.

                Cheers,
                Karrie

                --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "jonesalley" <jonesalley@...> wrote:

                > Is this going to be an online Digitarium upgrade or more of a manual process like the previous question seemed to indicate?
                >

                > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey Greg,
                > >
                > > Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town for a conference this week, and checking email has been more difficult than I expected.
                > >
                > > I would recommend posting your question in the Q&A section on the Nightshade site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/), then click on the Q&A link along the left side of the page.
                > >
                > > Rob, Digitalis' president, will post a reply to your question there. That way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.
                > >
                > > Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > > Karrie
                > >
                > > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "greggyvt1" <greggyvt1@> wrote:
                > > >

                > > > Hi Karrie,
                > > >
                > > > Thanks so much for making Nightshade. I downloaded the source code, but I must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do things in terminals, I just don't know how.
                > > >
                > > > Anyone willing to guide me through installing?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks again!

              • jcarlos rocha
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 7, 2010
                  hi Karrie ,

                   tks for share!!

                  Jose Carlos

                  De: bergieberglund <bergieberglund@...>
                  Para: small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com
                  Enviadas: Quarta-feira, 6 de Janeiro de 2010 11:10:48
                  Assunto: [small_planetarium] Re: Nightshade astronomy simulator launched

                  Hey Jon,

                  Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.

                  In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.

                  Cheers,
                  Karrie

                  --- In small_planetarium@ yahoogroups. com, "jonesalley" <jonesalley@ ...> wrote:

                  > Is this going to be an online Digitarium upgrade or more of a manual process like the previous question seemed to indicate?
                  >

                  > --- In small_planetarium@ yahoogroups. com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@ > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey Greg,
                  > >
                  > > Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town for a conference this week, and checking email has been more difficult than I expected.
                  > >
                  > > I would recommend posting your question in the Q&A section on the Nightshade site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightsha desoftware. org/), then click on the Q&A link along the left side of the page.
                  > >
                  > > Rob, Digitalis' president, will post a reply to your question there. That way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.
                  > >
                  > > Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!
                  > >
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > Karrie
                  > >
                  > > --- In small_planetarium@ yahoogroups. com, "greggyvt1" <greggyvt1@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Hi Karrie,
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks so much for making Nightshade. I downloaded the source code, but I must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do things in terminals, I just don't know how.
                  > > >
                  > > > Anyone willing to guide me through installing?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks again!

                  Veja quais são os assuntos do momento no Yahoo! + Buscados: Top 10 - Celebridades - Música - Esportes
                • VIVEK D
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 28, 2010
                    hi,
                    Well I downloaded the software for windows....but facing a problem using the mouse pointer....neither the keyboard function is working...
                    Pl. Help.

                    --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Jon,
                    >
                    > Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.
                    >
                    > In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Karrie
                    >
                    > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "jonesalley" <jonesalley@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Is this going to be an online Digitarium upgrade or more of a manual process like the previous question seemed to indicate?
                    > >

                    > > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hey Greg,
                    > > >
                    > > > Sorry for the slow reply. I'm out of town for a conference this week, and checking email has been more difficult than I expected.
                    > > >
                    > > > I would recommend posting your question in the Q&A section on the Nightshade site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/), then click on the Q&A link along the left side of the page.
                    > > >
                    > > > Rob, Digitalis' president, will post a reply to your question there. That way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.
                    > > >
                    > > > Good luck, and I hope you enjoy it!
                    > > >
                    > > > Cheers,
                    > > > Karrie

                  • bergieberglund
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 29, 2010
                      Hi Vivek,

                      I'm glad to hear that you downloaded the software, but sorry to hear about your problems with the mouse.

                      The best thing to do is to go to the Nightshade Q&A section and post your question there. That way anyone else who runs into the same problem will be able to find the reply. Here's a link to the Nightshade homepage:
                      http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/

                      Just click on the Q&A link on the left side of the page, then follow the directions to post your question.

                      Thanks,
                      Karrie

                      --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "VIVEK D" <vivekd@...> wrote:

                      > hi,
                      > Well I downloaded the software for windows....but facing a problem using the mouse pointer....neither the keyboard function is working...
                      > Pl. Help.
                      >

                      > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hey Jon,
                      > >
                      > > Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.
                      > >
                      > > In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers,
                      > > Karrie
                      > >
                      > > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "jonesalley" <jonesalley@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Is this going to be an online Digitarium upgrade or more of a manual process like the previous question seemed to indicate?

                    • VIVEK D
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 30, 2010
                        Thanks Karrie.
                        One more question.
                        Me and my team here in India are planning to set up a small planeterium. We were thinking of designing the "inflatable" dome our selves. I was wondering about the material that is to be used for the same.

                        Thanks,
                        Vivek

                        --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Vivek,
                        >
                        > I'm glad to hear that you downloaded the software, but sorry to hear about your problems with the mouse.
                        >
                        > The best thing to do is to go to the Nightshade Q&A section and post your question there. That way anyone else who runs into the same problem will be able to find the reply. Here's a link to the Nightshade homepage:
                        > http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/
                        >
                        > Just click on the Q&A link on the left side of the page, then follow the directions to post your question.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Karrie
                        >

                        > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "VIVEK D" <vivekd@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > hi,
                        > > Well I downloaded the software for windows....but facing a problem using the mouse pointer....neither the keyboard function is working...
                        > > Pl. Help.
                        > >

                        > > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hey Jon,
                        > > >
                        > > > Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.
                        > > >
                        > > > In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.
                        > > >
                        > > > Cheers,
                        > > > Karrie

                      • Adam Goss
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 30, 2010
                          Hello Vivek,

                          I have been following your conversation and haven't  been able to offer any input.  I have however built inflatable domes out of tablecloth-plastic.  I have a blog about their construction and can generate gore dome patterns for any size of dome being constructed.  You can view it here.  Building designs are near the bottom.  If you are interested in some patterns, just let me know and I will send you some.  If you have a pattern already, all I have to offer additionally is that tablecloth plastic makes a good dome, as long as the room is dark.  It is easy to inflate and cheap to replace.

                          Best,
                          -Adam Goss

                          Me and my team here in India are planning to set up a small planeterium. We were thinking of designing the "inflatable" dome our selves. I was wondering about the material that is to be used for the same.

                          Thanks,
                          Vivek

                          --- In small_planetarium@ yahoogroups. com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@ ...> wrote:

                          > Hi Vivek,
                          >
                          > I'm glad to hear that you downloaded the software, but sorry to hear about your problems with the mouse.
                          >
                          > The best thing to do is to go to the Nightshade Q&A section and post your question there. That way anyone else who runs into the same problem will be able to find the reply. Here's a link to the Nightshade homepage:
                          > http://www.nightsha desoftware. org/
                          >
                          > Just click on the Q&A link on the left side of the page, then follow the directions to post your question.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Karrie
                          >

                          > --- In small_planetarium@ yahoogroups. com, "VIVEK D" <vivekd@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > hi,
                          > > Well I downloaded the software for windows....but facing a problem using the mouse pointer....neither the keyboard function is working...
                          > > Pl. Help.
                          > >

                          > > --- In small_planetarium@ yahoogroups. com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@ > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hey Jon,
                          > > >
                          > > > Nightshade is actually just the Digitalis edition of Stellarium with another name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our customers.
                          > > >
                          > > > In other words, you already have Nightshade, since you are one of our customers.
                          > > >
                          > > > Cheers,
                          > > > Karrie

                        • Adam Goss
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 30, 2010
                            Apologies, I forgot to post the blog link; here it is:
                            http://diyplanetarium.blogspot.com/

                            -Adam

                          • vivekd
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 30, 2010
                              No problem..actually the word "here" had the link.....

                              Regards
                              Vivek
                              CSIR-URDIP

                              (http://urdip.res.in/) Disclaimer:
                              The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this
                              message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain
                              proprietary, confidential, copyright or privileged information. If you are not the
                              intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
                              inform the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

                              > Apologies, I forgot to post the blog link; here it is:

                              http://diyplanetari um.blogspot. com/

                              -Adam

                              >On Sat Jan 30th, 2010 8:23 AM MST Adam Goss wrote:
                              >
                              >>Hello Vivek,
                              >>
                              >>I have been following your conversation and haven't  been able to offer any input.  I have however built inflatable domes out of tablecloth-plastic.  I have a blog about their construction and can generate gore dome patterns for any size of dome being constructed.  You can view it here.  Building designs are near the bottom.  If you are interested in some patterns, just let me know and I will send you some.  If you have a pattern already, all I have to offer additionally is that tablecloth plastic makes a good dome, as long as the room is dark.  It is easy to inflate and cheap to replace.
                              >>
                              >>Best,
                              >>-Adam Goss

                              ------- End of Original Message -------
                            • bergieberglund
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 31, 2010
                                Hi Vivek,

                                Our domes are built from fabric we had custom made specifically for that purpose. You could try using off the shelf black out curtain fabric (such as http://www.roc-lon.com/), if you need an opaque material.

                                If you do not need an opaque material, the fabric options are much more open--Adam mentioned that he used tablecloths, for example.

                              • yves lhoumeau
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 31, 2010
                                  Hi Vivek,

                                  i've making some domes, with different material
                                  http://lss-planetarium.ovh.org/index.php?lang=en&page=project

                                  cardboard, wood and textile, etc...
                                  http://pagesperso-orange.fr/yves.lhoumeau/astronomie/diffusion/animation/planetarium/3m/page3mA.htm

                                  http://pagesperso-orange.fr/yves.lhoumeau/astronomie/diffusion/animation/planetarium/planetarium2.htm

                                  but now, for schools, i'm using a professional inflatable dome, because of safety rules (fire, etc)
                                  i'm using my "old" 3 m dome in my garage for testing scripts or video sequence.

                                  note, we have add some fonctions to Nightshade (video juke-box, audio, lauch scripts on one key etc) and use a wiimote as ... remote ;)

                                  Yves Lhoumeau
                                  LSS planetarium open project

                                • vivekd

                                    > Our domes are built from fabric we had custom made specifically for that
                                    > purpose. You could try using off the shelf black out curtain fabric (such as
                                    > http://www.roc-lon.com/), if you need an opaque material.
                                    >
                                    > If you do not need an opaque material, the fabric options are much more open-
                                    > -Adam mentioned that he used tablecloths, for example.
                                    >
                                    > Cheers,
                                    > Karrie
                                    >
                                    > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "VIVEK D" <vivekd@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks Karrie.
                                    > > One more question.
                                    > > Me and my team here in India are planning to set up a small planeterium. We were
                                    thinking of designing the "inflatable" dome our selves. I was wondering about the material
                                    that is to be used for the same.

                                    > > Thanks,
                                    > > Vivek
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In small_planetarium@yahoogroups.com, "bergieberglund" <bergieberglund@> wrote:
                                    > > >

                                    > > > Hi Vivek,
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I'm glad to hear that you downloaded the software, but sorry to hear about your
                                    problems with the mouse.

                                    > > > The best thing to do is to go to the Nightshade Q&A section and post your question
                                    there. That way anyone else who runs into the same problem will be able to find the reply.
                                    Here's a link to the Nightshade homepage:
                                    > > > http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Just click on the Q&A link on the left side of the page, then follow the directions
                                    to post your question.

                                    > > > Thanks,
                                    > > > Karrie

                                    pointer....neither the keyboard function is working...

                                    name. We recently decided to make our version available to the public rather to only our
                                    customers.

                                    like the previous question seemed to indicate?

                                    checking email has been more difficult than I expected.

                                    site. Just go to the homepage (http://www.nightshadesoftware.org/), then click on the Q&A
                                    link along the left side of the page.

                                    way not only you will see the answer, but also others who run into the same difficulties.

                                    must admit that I have no idea how to install it on a Linux system. I'm not afraid to do
                                    things in terminals, I just don't know how.

                                    ------- End of Original Message -------
                                  • vivekd