RE: [a-w-h] 12vdc living

  • Gough Duncan
    Message 1 of 83 , Jul 31, 2002
      Jerry,

      >I like the 12v yard lights and modify them for
      >inside use. These I think are about 10 watts each.
      >1 for general room lighting and point lighting
      >for reading, ect as needed. Very low cost.

      I can get the 20 watt QI fittings with reflectors and a mount for Gyprock
      (plasterboard) cieling for AU$5.20. Very cheap then if the lampo blows it
      costs about AU2.65 for a new one!! Why modify when I can get the 20
      watters cheap and save the hassle (and the grumpy looks from the funds
      manager when I show her the modified garden lamp!!)

      >Or use them all the time and ac only when needed.

      Once I've saved up for the solar panels I'll look into it and make a
      decision
      which way to go. The walls are already up plastered and painted but there
      is plenty of room to put more cable in from the cieling space later anyway.

      Regards

      Duncan
    • David Blittersdorf
      Message 83 of 83 , Aug 3, 2002
        I will get the data to you but it will be at the end of August due to vacations, etc.

        David Blittersdorf

        On 3 Aug 2002 at 20:37, Michael Klemen wrote:

        > Hi David,
        >
        > Interesting discussion...
        >
        > > I have measured the actual shear with a 105' tower with
        > > 3 levels of anemometers at my house
        >
        > Would you mind sharing a wind speed distribution at each
        > of those heights? 6 months of data would be awesome...
        > Preferably in tabular format instead of graphical.
        > (I'd love to see daily data if that were possible.)
        >
        > > That means I would need to install six (6) wind turbines
        > > at 30' to equal one (1) wind turbine at about 120'.
        >
        > I only get double the energy at double the height going
        > from 42 ft to 84 ft....And I love the 42 ft towers. They're
        > so much easier to work with. (But I do have the Proven and
        > our big Whispers on the 84 ft towers because there's more
        > energy up there.)
        >
        > > Andy will keep promoting short towers because it is a
        > > cheaper first cost but for a customer a BAD investment.
        >
        > It all depends on the situation. They aren't selling a
        > 30 ft tower for the 175 at present. What size towers are
        > the typical waterpumpers installed on? Most of them
        > are on 30 ft or 40 ft towers. It would seem like a
        > freestanding tower in the pasture would be a much better
        > deal for cattle ranchers for pumping water than any guyed
        > tower. If they need 2 machines, then 2 towers takes up
        > less footprint, and would probably be easier to maintain
        > and keep the cattle off of than a center anchor and 4 guy
        > wires.
        >
        > Andy, do you have any documentation we can see on these
        > short towers so we can see how you plan on educating your
        > customers that taller towers are generally a better option?
        >
        > > Stop advertising typical energy outputs at 12 mph average sites
        > > and use 10 mph.
        >
        > I agree. 12 mph is too high.
        >
        > Mike

        David Blittersdorf