[a-w-h] Re: 3 phase currents

  • hugh piggott
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 1999
      Mike

      >So, Hugh, if what you are saying is true, and I wish to
      >dump on the 240VAC side of our transformers (which you
      >have recommended doing), this means that instead of a
      >4500 watt machine (for battery charging), that I MUST
      >provide a 10600 watt AC dump load (max output
      >is supposed to be 5300 watts), minimum, correct?

      not really. I cannot see the logic of this..

      3 ac dump loads rated at a lower voltage, with 1.5kW rating will work fine.
      The rms voltage between any 2 ac wires will be about 40 volts.

      Hugh

      www.scoraig.com
      visiting eigg
      Scotland

      +44 1854 633 286 (233fax)
      (UK 01854 633 286)

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/awea-wind-home
    • hugh piggott
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 1999
        woops I didn't read the message carefully enough (too late last night).
        Mike was talking about his 240 volt AC wires (and not the previous 48 volt
        system).

        >So, Hugh, if what you are saying is true, and I wish to
        >dump on the 240VAC side of our transformers (which you
        >have recommended doing), this means that instead of a
        >4500 watt machine (for battery charging), that I MUST
        >provide a 10600 watt AC dump load (max output
        >is supposed to be 5300 watts), minimum, correct?

        3 loads at 1.5kW each is what you need, you may need to check the rms
        voltage between the wires when the batteries are at dumping voltage. If the
        actual voltage between the ac wires is 240 then loads at 1.5kW each rated
        for 240 volts will do the job. If the voltage turns out to be lower then
        you may need loads with a higher nominal power rating.

        the current in each wire from the wind machine will be 73% higher than the
        current to each load because the loads will be connected delta. If you
        prefer you can connect the loads 'wye' or 'star' in which case each load
        will get the full current from one wire but will operate at lower voltage.
        In any case the power the loads consume will be equal to the power the
        windmill produces .

        If in doubt, just try it and see, but do not run loads at voltages much
        above the rated voltage or they may become a hazard.

        Hugh

        www.scoraig.com

        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 1999
          Mike

          >So, Hugh, if what you are saying is true, and I wish to
          >dump on the 240VAC side of our transformers (which you
          >have recommended doing), this means that instead of a
          >4500 watt machine (for battery charging), that I MUST
          >provide a 10600 watt AC dump load (max output
          >is supposed to be 5300 watts), minimum, correct?

          not really. I cannot see the logic of this..

          3 ac dump loads rated at a lower voltage, with 1.5kW rating will work fine.
          The rms voltage between any 2 ac wires will be about 40 volts.

          Hugh

          www.scoraig.com
          visiting eigg
          Scotland

          +44 1854 633 286 (233fax)
          (UK 01854 633 286)

          One day scientists will discover a natural
          solution for hair loss. That day is here ...
          Hair Genesis http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/181