Re: [a-w-h] Blade Balance

  • windpower4jp@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2001
      Dan-- I'm no authority, but I put up an Enertech 1800 a few years ago for
      my sister. I wasn't satisfied with balance either, and took them back
      off, laid each end on scales and matched them nearly perfect. Still it
      was out of balance, and I decided that the bolt holes weren't precise
      enough to just allow the blade to hang straight down while tightening it
      in place. I loosened them slightly, measuring the distance between each
      outer blade end, getting them exactly 120� and that did it.
      Now if we could keep from burning out motors!! I'm contemplating
      installing a second motor of similar size and activate it with a wind
      sensitive switch when the power gets appropriate. Has anyone tried this?
      John Parsons
      ------Keep Looking Up!---JP

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Jon Powers
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
        Dan said:
        I wonder if there are ways to balance these blades better? I have always
        been able to see power
        fluctuation on every revolution and can hear the load change the gear
        pitch as these blades rotated but was never able to make it better

        When ever a blade balance weight gets lost we always see this effect on the
        KW meter

        John Parsons said

        > I wasn't satisfied with balance either, and took them back
        > off, laid each end on scales and matched them nearly perfect.

        On our 50 foot diameter wtgs the blades weigh almost 800 pounds and we
        balance the sets so the tip weights are with in 2/10 pound (100 grams).

        Still it
        > was out of balance, and I decided that the bolt holes weren't precise
        > enough to just allow the blade to hang straight down while tightening it
        > in place. I loosened them slightly, measuring the distance between each
        > outer blade end, getting them exactly 120° and that did it.

        This tip is important enough to be included in the FAQ. All blades need to
        be the same shape and pitch setting and the rotor assembly must be
        symmetrical as well as balanced.

        > Now if we could keep from burning out motors

        Have you tried reducing the pitch angle on the blades? This will make the
        stall regulation effect occur at a lower wind speed.

        Jon Powers
        mailto:calwind@...