Re: [a-w-h] Space heating with savonius windmill?

  • Ian Woofenden
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2001
      Hi JD,

      I'm just up the road from you in the San Juan Islands, and have been
      using wind energy for almost 20 years.

      Get a copy of Paul Gipe's _Wind Power for Home and Business_. It's a
      comprehensive treatment of the subject. Hugh Piggott's _Windpower
      Workshop_ is an excellent treatment of homebuilt machines. Both are
      available at http://www.picoturbine.com

      Savonius rotors are not the best design for generating electricity.
      No vertical axis design has ever been commercially successful.

      Wind power for heating is certainly possible, but you'll need a large
      machine, since heating is a large load.

      Check out http://www.solarenergy.org for information on the renewable
      energy workshops that I coordinate up here in October. I'm bringing
      Hugh Piggott over from Scotland to teach a Build Your Own Wind
      Generator workshop.

      Next time you're driving north through Deception Pass, pause at one
      of the gravel pull-outs east of Pass Lake on Highway 20. Look up on
      the hill to the north of the lake and you'll see a wind turbine. It's
      a direct drive Jacobs machine, and I was involved in the installation.

      Wind power is great, but go in with your eyes open. Most homebuilt
      machines fail or disappoint, and commercial machines take serious
      attention and maintenance. Wind generators require tall towers--30
      feet taller than anything within 500 feet is the rule of thumb.

      Best,

      Ian

      --
      Ian Woofenden <ian.woofenden@...>, Fax: 360-293-7034
      Associate Editor, Home Power magazine, The Hands-On Journal Of Home-Made Power

      800-707-6585 (US), 541-512-0220, or download current issue at
      <http://www.homepower.com>
    • hugh piggott
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
        At 7:59 pm +0000 30/1/01, havoc@... wrote:
        > I am fairly new at this wind power thing so bare with me if I ask
        >some silly questions at times.
        >
        > What I have in mind is to power my Honda 5000 generator, minus the
        >motor, with a Savonius vertical windmill.

        Savonius is a bad choice. You will need to build a very big one to
        catch much power.

        You shoudl contact Ian Woofenden on Guemes. <ian.woofenden@...>

        > At the end of the garage
        >the wind can literally knock a 3-year-old on her butt and head over
        >heels for 10 feet.

        that's an original measure of windspeed :-))

        > My home heating is propane with electric area space heaters in the
        >bedrooms and bathrooms. What I have in mind is to supplement the gas
        >heat with space heaters and/or supply power to the space heaters in
        >the bedrooms and bathrooms.

        I suspect that you may have overambitious ideas of what the wind can
        do. This would require a very large structure. Check my home page
        for a table showing the size of machine you need to produce a certain
        number of kWh units of electricity. Heaters use a lot of kWh. Most
        people with windpower systems only use heaters as 'dump loads for
        surplus power after the battery is fully charged.

        > So my questions are; Do you think this is conceivably possible
        >with the Honda 5000watt generator package.

        Possible but probably not sensible.

        > And if so what would you
        >recommend my battery compliment be? How many? What kind?

        it is much cheaper to store heat in a storage heater than in a
        battery. Store the heat in a concrete floor, or a pile of bricks.
        --
        Hugh

        Scoraig, Scotland
        http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk