Re: [s-w-h] Last days for local turbines? Southwest Windpower shutting down

  • Nando
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 19, 2013
      It is very SAD to know that SWWP has "died" .

      There is a very common problem, in the Wind Mill industry, in the basic design that has shown for a long time , this for decades; the design of the wind mills are NOT surviving mother nature tantrums because the "mechanical topology" of the small wind mills have not the "strength" to supports such "tantrums" -- and the "strength" does mean designs that give the wind mill " a Teflon coat" for the "tantrums " to slide to the side without damaging the windmills.

      Furling was developed to reduce , "somewhat" the "tantrums" but often the wind mills totally furled still produce power in excess and above of its designed limits .

      Braking electrical a poor implemented design that has shown poor chances of protecting the wind mill !!!.

      Braking , Mechanical , a bit better implementation but still too "dangerous" when very high winds of a furious Mother Nature explodes for too long causing blade breakage or tower destruction.

      Passive systems that give a better improvement but still the % of wind mills damaged are high and expensive because quite often the buyer is forced in buying new blades or even a new generator

      Other problems are the system balancing that unhappily the tower most of the time do not have implementation of re-balancing due to the changes in the land caused again by "mother nature" .

      Most important : installation of wind mills in poor regime wind areas or installing the wrong type wind mill for such local wind regime.

      So now what solutions are available to solve all these problems and to allow the wind mill industry to flourish ?

      I shall continue when I get the time which I do not have now !! But there are solutions !!

      Nando

      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 28, 2013
        Hello,

        Having been on the list for a few years i just wanted to chirp in here from someone that has been waiting and watching for a known "good" windturbine to show up. I would like to buy something small in the 500 to 1kw range that actually works as stated and does have some longevity to it. I have tried Air X's and Hornet 1000w, and to tell the truth, they suck.

        My first question would be why are not ALL turbines held to some universal standard in regard to the actual output at a certain windspeed. Why not have a level way to judge each model? At xx windspeed it puts out xxx in watts, amps or whatever was decided on as the benchmark.

        As nothing more than a customer, that is my first concern...Does it work as advertised? As a customer, WE are DUMB, we need a way to be able to look at a simple figure and be able to say "Yeah, that'll work". None that i have heard of do that. Performance is overblown so much that it is impossible to make a purchase based on what is 'claimed', it's pay your money and take your chances.

        For most of us that isnt to much of an option, if you buy and it doesnt work, not likely you will keep buying more until you happen to hit on one that does work....most customers wont have the money to do that, including me.

        Besides the bad taste left from buying a product that is so far away from it's advertised actual output, that it would be laughable if not for the hard earned cash laid out including the other associated costs in tower and balance of system just to find out, can make a customer down right irate...and bad mouth wind turbines to anyone that will listen.

        That cant be good for business...

        Second....

        If those old Jacobs, and others, had great longevity, why are there not more made along that same pattern. It seems all the concern is over efficiency...as a customer i would be more concerned, as i write the check, over how long will this thing last, not if i will get 3% or even 30% more out of this model or that one. All the efficiency in the world does no good if it isnt working...

        Hope you guys get it figured out because i really believe in small wind for some of us...as of now tho, because of my limited experiences, i wont be buying any.

        Thanks,
        Glen