Warranty Issues

  • reneefricano
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2013
      Would love to have some feedback on our problem. We had a wind turbine installed in 2009. 7.5kw on a 60' tower w/3 guide wires on 4 sides. We had a lightening strike so the wind turbine company came out 2 years ago to repair the turbine. They had a friend helping them and he unhooked the guide wires before they were ready and the turbine fell. During this fall, it bent 3 of the four anchor bolts. They repaired the turbine, straightened the anchor bolts and put it back up. My husband asked if the anchor bolts would be ok, and they said yes. They turbine has been running for 2 years now with some vibration when it first starts up. The anchor bolts vibrate. Yesterday we had 30-40 mph winds and our turbine fell apart. One blade flew over 400'! Another about 30' and the tail fell straight down. We have a 10 year warranty on this turbine. The people are very hard to get in touch with! They said the parts are included in the warranty but not the equipment rental to take it up and down, nor the labor. I don't ready any of that in our contract. Just a 10 year warranty. We don't know much about this industry and we are the only one in our area to have one. Any information anyone could provide would be very helpful. If we can't get any satisfaction from these people, we will just take the turbine down and cut our losses. It has not been good dealing with them after they put the turbine up. Not much help "after the sale".
    • Shreenivas Raghunathan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2013
        Hello I am may help you .but where you .can you send the details.
        I hav ebeen making aero generators from 1999 and still tring to make it to perfection . i hav erecently installed for thr Telecom industry and i can attach a video of my turbine .

        SK Shreenivas
        CEO
        Pawanmitra Aero Energies.
        2.231A/Udumalai main road,kethanur,Palladam,Tiruppur,641671.

        Tamilnadu,South India,India,
        0091 9443117255

        ________________________________
[...]

      • Dan Fink
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2013
          What brand and model is the wind turbine?

          Dan Fink,
          Executive Director;
          Otherpower
          Buckville Energy Consulting
          Buckville Publications LLC
          NABCEP / IREC accredited Continuing Education Providers
          970.672.4342
        • Doug
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2013
            I was just browsing the web regarding small wind turbines and came across an ad for a 7.5 kW turbine. My reaction was "This turbine was made in China, it will break down and leave the buyer with a non-operational turbine that will be expensive to repair or remove."

            The one factor that has emerged as most important for wind turbines is reliability. That seems to be the main problem with small wind turbines in general, no matter where they are made. The ones from China seem to be a little less reliable then the rest, and in my opinion a lack of reliability is STILL the biggest challenge faced by the small wind industry.

            Oh and the fact that no grid-tie inverter for a wind turbine is available - well except the one from China that I was recently testing til it burned out.

            That is where I look at the millions and millions of dollars spent by programs to promote small wind and say "If after 10 years of hearing this endless nonsense about growing the small wind industry, there is not even an inverter made for wind turbines available, then the wrong people are in charge and nobody is serious about moving the small wind industry forward."

            I don't see that the turbines are any more reliable today than they were 10 years ago. Some models just survive a little better today after being "watered down", while others have bankrupted the manufacturers who were unable to keep up with warranty service, repairs, and returns. Good luck with that Chinese turbine that flew apart. Isn't that what they are supposed to do?

            :O...
            Doug Selsam
            http://www.selsam.com