Xantrex GRIDTEK-10 Inverter screen issue

  • hgengineer
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2013
      Hi all,

      I just purchased a 2004 Gridtek-10 inverter for $300.

      The lcd screen is giving me some slight issues. The screen seems to display partial information, but is barely readable. I can't read the line amps, turbine rpm or any other messages clearly, but can make out what the main messages are.

      I have a 2002 Bergey Excel-S on a test stand and was able to spin up the alt by hand (Whew!) until the two contacts clunked closed and I was generating power.

      Inverter works perfectly and follows initialization procedures, going through "standby" then "wait cutin" then "Normal"/"cutout"??(I think, can't read the last display.) and loads the alternator properly once the minimum RPM is met.

      My question is, is there any way to remedy the screen issue? It seems possibly some screen circuits for the pixels are crossed/shorted. Has anyone fixed these screens before or have some tips/tricks?

      Thanks,
      Hunter
    • dael
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2013
        I have messed with this type of screen before. Making actual electrical
        contact to it is done by mechanical pressure.

        It may have come misaligned possibly.

        Obviously connection checks are in order.

        Found this! http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-a-Malfunctioning-LCD/

        Stephen

      • hgengineer
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 7, 2013
          Hi Stephen,

          Thanks for the link. I removed the inverter screen and noticed slight corrosion around some of the contact strips. After cleaning them, the corrosion was bad enough to destroy some of the thin/tiny strips completely. It looks like I'll need to purchase another screen (AZ2004d), which are very cheap($16-25).

          Thanks,
          Hunter

          --- In small-wind-home@yahoogroups.com, "dael" wrote:

          > I have messed with this type of screen before. Making actual electrical
          > contact to it is done by mechanical pressure.
          >
          > It may have come misaligned possibly.
          >
          > Obviously connection checks are in order.
          >
          > Found this! http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair-a-Malfunctioning-LCD/
          >

          > Stephen

        • dael
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
            Now Radio shack has a conductive pen for creating circuits. You could try to
            repair it with that.

            I have had some good success with it on dishwasher and keyboard and other
            repairs. Those dang pesky flexible circuits!

            Stephen