Re: [s-w-h] dpwmwind thought

  • Ted Marynicz
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2012
      This is exactly how the Proven (now Kingspan) turbines are designed to
      work. The smaller (2.5 and 6kW) turbines use a set of springs to control
      the 'coning' whilst the infamous 15kW machine used hydraulic dampers.

      Ted Marynicz

      On 29/04/2012 19:13, Neil Dennis wrote:

      > Just a lurker but have an odd thought :-[ . With a downwond rotor, how
      > would things work if the rotor had a "flyball" setup that would drive
      > the blades into a cone as the wind speed increased to maintain a safe
      > RPM ?
      >
      > wombat

    • Doug
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2012
        There's more to the Proven furling than just downwind coning.
        The soft hinges are angled, so the pitch changes too.
        We have one (1) Proven in this area and 150 Bergeys.
        The Proven broke down early on and was replaced by the manufacturer.
        Someday maybe we will try to resurrect the broken one.
        Kingspan? Hey that's the name I was gonna use!
        (kidding...)
        I saw a great brand name I wanna use for a wind turbine:
        "Worst"
        but I wouldn't dare use that name until I was sure I had the best!
        :)