Re: [s-w-h] Basic Magnet Advise Plz

  • OOWONBS@Netscape.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2010
      I wanna 2nd guess someone who's making a generator
      for a VAWT. My magnetics experience is limited to some
      old toroidal cores we would for a small 20KHz switching
      power supply, & I'm a little behind in my research to assist
      him. He's on a tight timeline and a budget.

      He's selected some wedge shaped magnets. V nice.
      Pricey. And I just don't have the details handy, so this
      is a general question or two. It concerns the overall pro
      vs con with these wedge shapes & round magnets.

      Sure, the wedge pack tightly so a slightly smaller diameter
      machine rotor can be made. But for the addition of an inch
      or 2, so what, if the price is better.

      Is there an advantage for the wedges, as they cut the
      wedge shaped coil flux, giving a better wave form? I
      can't see that. It seems to be that the coils would be
      harder to wind than for a round one, and round would
      be a cheaper magnet. All we have to do is match flux
      densities and overall Gauss, yes?

      BillSF9c