Re: [a-w-h] Monopole on the beach...

  • tom mack
    Message 1 of 33 , Jan 30, 2008
      Hello Mike-
      I'm not an engineer , but have some knowledge of beaches and wind turbines.

      I think the scale of the project would be very relevant-- 20-foot diameter swept area on a 80-foot tower , or 200-foot diameter swept area on 200-foot tower?

      Around here {LI, NY} we have structures built on sand and swamps, and the traditional foundations seem to be pilings. The pilings have some immunity to the swirling waters of surf, as they extend below the level the soil is stirred up under turbulent water.

      I have no knowledge of MATs (just googled the technique , interesting!).

      If the concrete is to be exposed to brine , i think the salts can corrode the reinforcing within if no precautions are taken.
      -Tom m

      Mike Correale <correale@...> wrote:
      I am looking for someone that can advise on the installation of a monopole
      tower with turbine, about 1200 feet from the water on a sunny island on the
      coast of Texas. The issue is that there is a factor of a very low water
      table (about 5 ft), potential of a tidal surge, and of course
      hurricanes..... I am looking for some advise to install a MAT foundation -
      basically on the beach....

      Mike

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      10:24 AM

    • roadhse2
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 4, 2008
        I did mechanic work back in that time period...lot of Chrysler
        stuff....lot of calls to parking lots for no starts on 2.2 engines...

        Best guess is the fuel pump fuse or relay, when it goes it wont let
        the computer get a signal, injectors cant work without a computer
        driver telling them too...etc....

        Lucky you.. it is a 2 minute fix...if NOT the fuse...then, fuel pump
        relay

        Located on drivers side firewall or fender apron under the
        hood...should be 2 little black boxes (1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 2 1/2
        tall)....1 is fuel pump relay, other is a/c relay...they
        interchange.....just unplug both from the harness and switch , fuel
        pump is the relay closest to fender if i remember right..

        If that isnt it, Hall Effect sensor would be the next thing to look
        at, it takes the place of points in the distributor...round plastic
        thingy (<technical term) under distributor cap... No way to test it,
        but a replacement is cheap

        Glen

        --- In awea-wind-home@yahoogroups.com, David and Melanie Mikkelson
        <dmikkelson1942@...> wrote:

        > Ask Doug.. already let him know... "Well"??? Think your getting
        me
        > confused with someone else. My idea is all above ground.
        > BYW... I'm done arguing and trying to explain. It takes too much
        > wording and nobody reads that far. Think that had a lot to do
        with the
        > replies.
        > Heck some are probably trying to tweak it out and get patents by
        now.
        > I've look at several different gen flying designs. I know what it
        what
        > at least mechanically. I'm not try in to sell anything, just
        build
        > something that will work for me. Still learning electrical.. and
        I do
        > not profess to know anything but the basics on that. Enough of
        this.

        > Did you get my message about the Kienzle? I'll respect your
        knowledge
        > on them if you respect my mechanical engineering.
        >
        > Wouldn't happen to know anything about older syle 1990 Chrysler
        engine
        > electronics would you? 1990 Horizon. Just shut down on my wife
        the
        > other day.... odd... for some reason it (appears anyway) that the
        > computer shut down the power to the ignition, fuel pump, and
        injector.
        > But I haven't been able yet to determine why. Auto shut down
        relay
        > triggered? from what?... bad fusable link?... whatever?.
        Chrysler no
        > help. Its too old and nobody remembers. Most of them were still
        kids
        > when it was built. Going to have to clean out the bay in the shop
        where
        > its currently set up for wood working (my wifes hobby greenhouse
        I'm
        > building her) get it in there and start testing circuits. I'd
        take in
        > in for this kind a thing... but shop rates are simply more than we
        an
        > afford.
        >
        > When the fuel prices went crazy... we had to resort to a little
        car, but
        > with me unemployed, we simply couldn't go out and buy a late model
        like
        > we've always done in the past. Gas was a buck a gallon when we
        bought
        > this place. Its killing us now. But thats the price of country
        > living. I picked up this old 90 model with a bad head gasket with
        > decent body and interior... rebuilt the engine and several other
        systems
        > and threw on a quicky paint job on it a year ago... but I'm afraid
        the
        > wiring harness has issues now. I love designing and build
        something new
        > or resurrecting an antique... but <cuss>, I absolutely disdain
        > automotive repair. Especially when the shop is not heated.
        Naturally,
        > it has to break in January. I'll probably find a broken wire from
        stiff
        > and brittle insulation and cold.
        >
        > Dave
        >

        > Donald Plisco wrote:
        > > I'd still like to see where all of that extra power cable is
        going to
        > > stashed...We're not talking about 22AWG that can be neatly
        coiled up
        > > and stored in the well..
        > >
        > > Don

        Don't pay
        > > attention
        > > to anything he says - he's nuts - belongs in the looney bin -
        and
        > > nothing he
        > > says makes any sense whatsoever - it just sounds like it
        makes
        > > sense because
        > > he uses big words and makes it all seem so complicated, but
        > > really, he makes
        > > no sense, so don't let him get to you either.
        > > Doug S.
        > > http://www.Maboomba.com <http://www.Maboomba.com>

        Everything
        > > he said, I provided a cost effective simple solution for,
        but I doubt
        > > he'll ever admit it. Sure there are tweaks that need to be
        addressed
        > > as most was conceptual and of the top of my head, but they
        are sound.
        > > Cost effective for me is different than companies though...
        my labor
        > > is free and I also don't have overhead costs or profit
        margins to
        > > maintain.
        > >
        > > I was originally addressing Randy's slider questions then
        Don jumped