Re: [a-w-h] No wonder there are no wind generators around here... check this OUT!

  • Steven Woodcock
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 21, 2007
      Ouch....those sound like pretty sucky bylaws.

      One of our primary motivating checklist items before we bought our 30 acres was "no covenants". Drives the folks in the canyon nuts that we won't join their homeowner's group either, for precisely reasons like this. Right now all they do is work on the road; some day they'll think they can tell me what color to paint the house.

      ===============================
      Steven Woodcock
      From the High, Snowy Mountains of Colorado

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 22, 2007
        Correct me if I am wrong, folks, but if you are a resident of the United States, Federal laws requires that the COOP must allow you to hook a grid tied inverter to their grid, if you meet the Federal dictated minimal standards for a tie in. And BTW, Federal law always trumps states and local law....especially civil contracts like COOP bylaws.

        Don

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2008
          I believe you are correct. My understanding is that under the Public
          Utility Regulatory Policies Act of 1978, PURPA, as Applicable to the Energy
          Policy Act of 2005, EPACT 2005, net metering is basically mandatory.

          However, there are various differences in the ability to carry forward
          "excess" electrical production, "store it" on the grid and use it to offset
          later usage. So, although you have the right to install a grid tied
          inverter, in some cases any excess electrical production over the course of
          a month that you do not use is "lost" into the grid. Apparently the ability
          to use excess production at a later date lies with individual utilities
          and/or individual states.

          Roger Dixon

          _____

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 3, 2008
            Every utility in the US, bar none have the same boiler plate stamp in
            all of there contracts. If you didn't find it, you haven't bothered to
            go looking for it. If you do some research you will find the PURPA dos
            not apply to Coop's in the United States it only applys to privately
            held or corporate utilities. The reason why is simple. The Utility
            Coop is owned by the people it servers. If you don't like there
            policies then get on the board and change them instead of bellyaching
            about how unfair they are. Any member of a utility can run. If you pay
            your utility bills you are a member. If you are a Utility Board member
            the perks are unusually pretty good. They pay well for your time and
            there seems to always be at least one meeting a year in Hawaii or
            Florida. After you are on your utility board and you recruit three or
            four like minded members you can install the policy where all members
            must own there own wind generator. Ok that one may be a little to far
            to the left. In reality a Coop in a good wind location could sell to
            its members two or three different sizes of wind turbines. Have
            installation trucks and service crews and promote wind to it's
            members. The utilities I had dealt with sell furnaces, water heater,
            air conditioners, transfer switches, and off peek equipment most of
            the time for cost why not wind turbines? The hardest job you will have
            after you have been elected to the Utility Management Board is to
            prove to the other Coop members is that what you are doing is in there
            best interest. There is no Big Oil to blame things on here. Your
            opinions that you have when you start this job will not be the ones
            you have one year from now. Good Luck.
            Brad
          • Mike Bergey
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
              PURPA applies to coops and municipal electric systems as well as
              private utilities. If a state has a weak public utility commission
              or there is regulatory immunity for coops (as is the case in
              Oklahoma, for example), then it can be quite difficult getting PURPA
              enforced. FERC has jurisdiction but is too complex and expensive to
              be useful for minor enforcement actions.

              But the federal law is clear - it applies.

              I agree that many coops would be improved with a few younger, more
              progressive board members.

              Mike Bergey
              Bergey Windpower

              Mike Bergey
              President
              Bergey Windpower Co.
              2200 Industrial Blvd.
              Norman, OK 73069
              Tel: 405-364-4212
              Fax: 405-364-2078
              E-mail: mbergey@...
              Web Site: www.bergey.com

            • Matt
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2008
                So Brad; one might get the inference from your message that electrical co-ops are there to make a profit, considering all the "meetings" in Hawaii and Florida. I was under the assumption that they exist to benefit their members; true or false?

                The idea behind incentive programs for alternative energy technologies is (theoretically) to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and reduce the need to import fossil fuels and, one would assume, help spread the generation of power through dispersed (distributed) sources.

                Implementing programs that reward people for making such a large investment through reduced kWh costs or actual net energy sales to the utility at a high rate make sense for everybody, not just members of a co-op, since many co-ops buy energy from major generators for resale - and those generators are also required to have a certain amount of energy derived from alternative sources. Everybody wins.

                Matt
                ---- Brad Kirby <BradKirby@...> wrote:
                > Every utility in the US, bar none have the same boiler plate stamp in
                > all of there contracts. If you didn't find it, you haven't bothered to
                > go looking for it. If you do some research you will find the PURPA dos
                > not apply to Coop's in the United States it only applys to privately
                > held or corporate utilities. The reason why is simple. The Utility
                > Coop is owned by the people it servers. If you don't like there
                > policies then get on the board and change them instead of bellyaching
                > about how unfair they are. Any member of a utility can run. If you pay
                > your utility bills you are a member. If you are a Utility Board member
                > the perks are unusually pretty good. They pay well for your time and
                > there seems to always be at least one meeting a year in Hawaii or
                > Florida. After you are on your utility board and you recruit three or
                > four like minded members you can install the policy where all members
                > must own there own wind generator. Ok that one may be a little to far
                > to the left. In reality a Coop in a good wind location could sell to
                > its members two or three different sizes of wind turbines. Have
                > installation trucks and service crews and promote wind to it's
                > members. The utilities I had dealt with sell furnaces, water heater,
                > air conditioners, transfer switches, and off peek equipment most of
                > the time for cost why not wind turbines? The hardest job you will have
                > after you have been elected to the Utility Management Board is to
                > prove to the other Coop members is that what you are doing is in there
                > best interest. There is no Big Oil to blame things on here. Your
                > opinions that you have when you start this job will not be the ones
                > you have one year from now. Good Luck.
                > Brad

              • Forsyth, Trudy
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 7, 2008
                  It's true that one of the strongest trends for co-ops to be pro-wind is
                  the average of their board, in this case younger is definitely better.

                  trudy

                  ________________________________

                  PURPA applies to coops and municipal electric systems as well as
                  private utilities. If a state has a weak public utility commission
                  or there is regulatory immunity for coops (as is the case in
                  Oklahoma, for example), then it can be quite difficult getting PURPA
                  enforced. FERC has jurisdiction but is too complex and expensive to
                  be useful for minor enforcement actions.

                  But the federal law is clear - it applies.

                  I agree that many coops would be improved with a few younger, more
                  progressive board members.

                  Mike Bergey
                  Bergey Windpower

                  At 04:02 PM 1/3/2008, Brad Kirby wrote:
                  >Every utility in the US, bar none have the same boiler plate stamp in
                  >all of there contracts. If you didn't find it, you haven't bothered to
                  >go looking for it. If you do some research you will find the PURPA dos
                  >not apply to Coop's in the United States it only applys to privately
                  >held or corporate utilities. The reason why is simple. The Utility
                  >Coop is owned by the people it servers. If you don't like there
                  >policies then get on the board and change them instead of bellyaching
                  >about how unfair they are. Any member of a utility can run. If you pay
                  >your utility bills you are a member. If you are a Utility Board member
                  >the perks are unusually pretty good. They pay well for your time and
                  >there seems to always be at least one meeting a year in Hawaii or
                  >Florida. After you are on your utility board and you recruit three or
                  >four like minded members you can install the policy where all members
                  >must own there own wind generator. Ok that one may be a little to far
                  >to the left. In reality a Coop in a good wind location could sell to
                  >its members two or three different sizes of wind turbines. Have
                  >installation trucks and service crews and promote wind to it's
                  >members. The utilities I had dealt with sell furnaces, water heater,
                  >air conditioners, transfer switches, and off peek equipment most of
                  >the time for cost why not wind turbines? The hardest job you will have
                  >after you have been elected to the Utility Management Board is to
                  >prove to the other Coop members is that what you are doing is in there
                  >best interest. There is no Big Oil to blame things on here. Your
                  >opinions that you have when you start this job will not be the ones
                  >you have one year from now. Good Luck.
                  >Brad

                  >THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE HOME ENERGY LIST.
                  >. Please feel free to send your input to:
                  > awea-wind-home@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:awea-wind-home%40yahoogroups.com>
                  >. Join the list by sending a blank e-mail to:
                  > awea-wind-home-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  <mailto:awea-wind-home-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                  >.. To view previous messages from the list,
                  > subscribe to a daily digest of the list,
                  > or stop receiving the list by e-mail
                  > (and read it on the Web), go to
                  > http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/awea-wind-home
                  <http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/awea-wind-home> .
                  >. An FAQ on small wind systems is located at
                  > http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/klemen
                  <http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/klemen> .
                  >. This e-mail discussion list is managed by
                  > the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA):
                  > http://www.awea.org <http://www.awea.org> . AWEA maintains the Home
                  > Energy list as an "open discussion space" for
                  > those wishing to learn more about home energy
                  > systems, and takes no responsibility for the
                  > opinions or technical advice provided on the
                  > list.

                  Mike Bergey
                  President
                  Bergey Windpower Co.
                  2200 Industrial Blvd.
                  Norman, OK 73069
                  Tel: 405-364-4212
                  Fax: 405-364-2078
                  E-mail: mbergey@... <mailto:mbergey%40bergey.com>
                  Web Site: www.bergey.com

                • Forsyth, Trudy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 8, 2008
                    Okay, I didn't complete my thought well.

                    It's the average AGE of the co-op board members that strongly influences
                    the likelihood that you will find small wind turbine installations.

                    Thanks

                    trudy

                    ________________________________

                    From: awea-wind-home@yahoogroups.com
> [...]

                    > or stop receiving the list by e-mail
                    > (and read it on the Web), go to
                    > http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/awea-wind-home
                    <http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/awea-wind-home>
                    <http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/awea-wind-home
                    <http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/awea-wind-home> > .
                    >. An FAQ on small wind systems is located at
                    > http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/klemen
                    <http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/klemen>
                    <http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/klemen
                    <http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/klemen> > .
                    >. This e-mail discussion list is managed by
                    > the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA):
                    > http://www.awea.org <http://www.awea.org> <http://www.awea.org
                    <http://www.awea.org> > . AWEA maintains the Home
                    > Energy list as an "open discussion space" for
                    > those wishing to learn more about home energy
                    > systems, and takes no responsibility for the
                    > opinions or technical advice provided on the

                  • John Parsons
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 8, 2008
                      Mike, and Group-- It's been a while since I was fighting our local Kansas REC, but at that time REC's AND Municipalities could choose to "opt out". That doesn't leave many options.
                      All I fought for was to recieve credit for my kwh backed into the grid at the wholesale rate. That is fair. All infastructure is in place, I pay a monthly connection fee which is designed to help maintain transformer core losses cost and upkeep ( just the same as meters that use NO kwh in parts of the year pay)
                      Again, wholesale rate is fair.
                      John
                      Windpower4jp@...
                      ------Keep looking up!----JP