Re: [a-w-h] MPPT wind controller tests at Guemes in May

  • DJ MacIntyre
    Message 1 of 50 , Apr 3, 2007
      Nando wrote:

      > The MX60, from Outback, has a MPPT algorithm that is slow and at the
      > same time, STIFF, which means that does assume that the MPPT peak is
      > "permanent" for long periods of time and to define another MPPT point,
      > needs to rest take a breath, stop controlling, charging, or harvesting
      > the power , then new MPPT calculation and start to harvesting again, the
      > algorithm is ABSOLETE even before the MX60 was put in the market for sale.

      Not to pick nits, Nando, but show me where OutBack has EVER said their
      MPPT controller, the MX-60 was designed for anything but photovoltaic
      input. Suggesting it was 'obsolete' shows a definite ignorance of the
      equipment involved.

      It's nifty that many folks use MX-60s for wind applications; noticably
      the Jacobs turbine users like myself.
      Those that have, however, have *modified* their units to better serve
      their purposes. If you want to know what can be done to an MX-60 to
      make it more suitable for wind applications, take a wander over to the
      OutBack Users Forum ;-).

      DJ
    • Darryl Thayer
      Message 50 of 50 , Dec 7, 2009
        Hi from experiance never use 1/2 " PVC it is just to small to get wire through, use 3/4".   Do run two conduits.

        We generally use 2 to 3% voltage drop.  If your Isc=8 amps then your Imp is about 7.2 amps.  I use Vd=2LIR/1000;  for 500 volts 2% is 10 volts, so 10 volts=2 L(length) x I (current)x R(resistance NEC chapter9,table8)/1000)    I do not have a code book in my hand but I guess you are fine.

        From: Bob Bruninga <wb4apr@amsat. org>
        Subject: [s-w-h] Conductors in Conduit?
        To: small-wind-home@ yahoogroups. com
        Cc: bruninga@usna. edu
        Date: Sunday, December 6, 2009, 3:45 PM

        Can one mix electiical services inside of PVC conduit?

        I have 250' of #8 AWG wire which will be carrying 8 amps at 500 VDC for my Solar Panels in a 250' 1" conduit. I want to include a pair of #14 and ground for a conviencnce 115 VAC outlet.

        is this OK with the NEC?

        I know it is not wind power, but I am sure the topic has come up with adding convenience outlets at the base of the wind tower too.

        Bob