Re: [a-w-h] AIRX 4 wire system?

  • Derek Conniffe
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31 2:27 PM
      I thought I remember hearing/reading that the AIRX disconnected the
      generator from the battery bank (very quickly) in order to read the
      battery voltage so that the wire size didn't matter so much.

      I'm not sure if this is true though - I've seen that there are 3 MOSFETS
      inside an AIRX and if they blow (and go closed circuit) it seems to
      short the coils - so I guessed the 3 MOSFETs are there to allow the AIRX
      to short the three phases for braking. But I'm not sure if this could
      allow the generator to be disconnected from the battery source for
      voltage measurement and there is no zero crossover with three phase so I
      suppose the battery voltage can't be measured like that either.

      Derek

      wb4apr wrote:
      > Brand new to the group.
      >
      > Why doesn't the AIR-X come with a 4 wire system so that the wires do
      > not have to be so big. By using 2 wires for remote sensing the
      > battery voltage (with no voltage drop), then the other two current
      > carrying conductors can have a little more loss without impacting the
      > internal voltage regulation.
      >
      > Has this topic been discussed? Is there a user-mod to accomplish this?
      >
      > Bob, WB4APR

      > THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE HOME ENERGY LIST.
      > . Please feel free to send your input to:
      > awea-wind-home@yahoogroups.com
      > . Join the list by sending a blank e-mail to:
      > awea-wind-home-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > .. To view previous messages from the list,
      > subscribe to a daily digest of the list,
      > or stop receiving the list by e-mail
      > (and read it on the Web), go to
      > http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/awea-wind-home .
      > . An FAQ on small wind systems is located at
      > http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/klemen .
      > . This e-mail discussion list is managed by
      > the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA):
      > http://www.awea.org . AWEA maintains the Home
      > Energy list as an "open discussion space" for
      > those wishing to learn more about home energy
      > systems, and takes no responsibility for the
      > opinions or technical advice provided on the
      > list.

      Derek Conniffe
      Rivertower Ltd
      DID Number: 01 440 1806 (International: 00 353 1 440 1806)
      Ireland: (Local) 01 440 1800
      United Kingdom: 0870 068 2368
      International: 00 353 1 440 1800
      Derek Conniffe Mobile: 086 856 3823 (International: 00 353 86 856 3823)
      Fax: 01 440 1801 (International: 00 353 1 440 1801)
      Email: Derek@...
      Web: http://www.rivertowerhosting.com
    • lesly dumont
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2006
        I installed an AIR X, 12V and I made the following
        observations:
        1) after connecting the negative wire to my battery
        bank, as I did the
        same with the positive, the wire was becoming very
        hot. I disconnected it.
        2) Later I verified the whole installation and found
        no bad wiring. I
        connected again the positive wire and it worked well.
        3) The system spent a week without any trouble.
        4) Suddenly the positive wire went again very hot.
        Before we noticed it,
        it damaged the turbine. On the circuit board, the
        servo chip was damaged
        although the other parts were still good.
        5) The battery bank was old. Can the battery state be
        the cause of this
        failure?
        6) We had similar old battery bank with the AIR403 and
        I never
        experienced such problem
        7) Is this problem related to the method the AIR X
        circuit monitors the
        batteries state?
        8) We also notice that three wire are coming from the
        magnetic part
        instead of four like in the AIR 403

        I would appreciate your comments.

        Lesly

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Robert Bruninga
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2006
          > From: awea-wind-home@yahoogroups.com
          > I installed an AIR X, 12V and... the wire was becoming very
          > hot. I disconnected it. Suddenly the positive wire went
          > again very hot. Before we noticed it, it damaged the turbine.

          As a newbee to this group, I am considering the purcahse of the
          24 volt AIR-X. I have seen Paul Gipe's comments on the failure
          of the turbine To meet advertised power above about 150 watts,
          but my
          Average wind is less than that, so that is not an issue.
          But if it works as advertised below that level and DOES actually
          Begin to turn at 7 MPH as advertised, then it is appropriate for
          my need.

          So I guess that is my question, (1) is it reliable?

          (2) And how well does it work at the low-wind end of its
          performance. I live
          in a low wind area and will have to get
          To over 100 feet to hopefully get some wind. Using HAM radio
          and
          The APRS system, you can see the wind profile of the nearest ham
          WX station to me which is about a mile away. His annemometer is
          about 15'
          Feet over his house and relatively in the clear.

          Here is his APRS location:
          http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=CW0454

          And here is his WX profile:
          http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=CW0454

          From this data, it appears I will not be getting any power the
          majority of the time.
          But that is OK, since I mostly want just some GREEN backup
          charging power when the
          Power goes out in the middle of storms (plenty of wind then)..

          I'm chosing to go with 24V so I can use smaller wire for the
          200' run to
          my power system, but maybe 24v is harder to get in low wind?
          Presumably
          The 12 volt system would begin to generate charging current
          (though tiny) at
          A lower wind speed than the 24 volt system?

          Come to think about it, would the smart charging in the 24v
          system prevent it
          From producing any current into a 12 volt battery in light winds
          if I temporarily
          Connected it that way to get something into a battery?
          Etc...

          Bob, WB4APR