Re: Windsave versus Stealthgen - will the house stand up?

  • welshphil_2006
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
      Hello,

      Like many people on this list, I am becoming increasingly frustrated
      and angry at the likes of stealthgen, windsave and swift. I am really
      horified that windsave are going to give 'micro-generation' in all
      forms a really bad name.
      I don't need to stress to this group how selling a 1.8m dia roof
      mounted turbines at B&Q is such a bad idea. I wonder what the press
      will be saying in a years time when the windsave units haven't
      generated much power, or worse, caused some sort of accident or
      damage!

      Can nothing be done under the trades descriptions act?
      Surely its all false advertising?

      Out of the five wind turbine manufacturers I have spoken to over the
      last couples of months, 'samrey' were the only ones to warn me away
      from roof mounting and advised that I researched it in more detail.
      The windsave people were actually qute rude to me, and a couple of
      the others just wanted my signature on the order!

      my two pennies worth,
      Phil

      --- In awea-wind-home@yahoogroups.com, "john323005"
      <john_curchod@...> wrote:

      > The Stealthgen is one of the smallest turbines sold for roof
      mounting and they tell me it has
      > a lateral thrust of 75Kg. That is probably OK on the side of a
      house.

      > But the Windsave is bigger - does anybody know what "brick-pulling"
      force that would exert
      > on the building?
      >
      > And I guess the higher it is mounted on a pole ( 10 feet to 15
      feet) the greater the leverage
      > exerted on the wall mounting brackets - does anybody have the maths
      for that?

      > John Curchod

    • Andy Kruse
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
        Phil,

        You can change this. Become vocal in the UK - Find groups like IT Power and
        ask them to push for small wind testing programs. Require any small wind
        generator that is included in the UK program to be IEC certified. Establish
        a siting program. As you most likely know, the UK has some strict tower
        restrictions. Require some kind of modeling of system performance on each
        site before the installation. This may be a bit complicated but it is
        possible.

        Andy Kruse
        Southwest Windpower

        <john_curchod@...> wrote:

        > The Stealthgen is one of the smallest turbines sold for roof
        mounting and they tell me it has
        > a lateral thrust of 75Kg. That is probably OK on the side of a
        house.

        > But the Windsave is bigger - does anybody know what "brick-pulling"
        force that would exert
        > on the building?
        >
        > And I guess the higher it is mounted on a pole ( 10 feet to 15
        feet) the greater the leverage
        > exerted on the wall mounting brackets - does anybody have the maths
        for that?

        > John Curchod

        THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE HOME ENERGY LIST.
        . Please feel free to send your input to:
        awea-wind-home@yahoogroups.com
        . Join the list by sending a blank e-mail to:
        awea-wind-home-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        .. To view previous messages from the list,
        subscribe to a daily digest of the list,
        or stop receiving the list by e-mail
        (and read it on the Web), go to
        http://www.yahoogroups.com/list/awea-wind-home .
        . An FAQ on small wind systems is located at
        http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/ndsu/klemen .
        . This e-mail discussion list is managed by
        the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA):
        http://www.awea.org . AWEA maintains the Home
        Energy list as an "open discussion space" for
        those wishing to learn more about home energy
        systems, and takes no responsibility for the
        opinions or technical advice provided on the
        list.