Re: [Aquarius-owners] Re: pulser desulfater, plus NiCad Info

  • Donald Plisco
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28 5:51 PM
      Dan, I'm glad your new pulser is working out. Make sure you get your automotive batteries pulsed, too.

      NiCads: high frequency pulsers are used to rehabilitated NiCad batteries by breaking up the NiCad crystals into smaller crystals, thus giving more surface area for the battery. NiCad chemistry is completely different from a lead/acid. NiCads form crystals while charging; Lead acid chemistry normally dissolves them as the battery is charged.
      The hi freq pulsing erases the so-called "memory".
      As the NiCads are continuously recharged, the NiCad crystals reform into larger crystals, which are not as electrochemically active as smaller crystals. NiCads really don't form a memory...Forming larger crystals decreases the power storage ability.
      From what I've seen on the net, the pulsing breaks the crystals down into finer and finer crystals. You can also reverse charge the batteries down past the nominal 1.25 volts. What I do is completely run the batteries down, then reverse charge the batteries down to about 1 volt each (on individual batteries) This breaks the crystals down further, than simply completely discharging the batteries.... Caution: Don't reverse charge individual NiCads past 1 volt. The further into negative charging you get, the more probable you will cause the battery to reverse polarity (trashing it).
      I know some kids that race model cars, which use NiCads. There are class rule limits to the size of the batteries, so those kids research and try every imaginable way, to increase the performance of the batteries. They hot discharge them, then reverse charge them to the point where one out of five NiCads reverse polarity (ruining it). They also use hi freq pulsers, meant for lead acid batteries, so that the crystaline structure is much finer than a new battery (that creates more surface space per battery, and more juice).
      All of this excessive activity is harsh on NiCads, shortening it's overall total amount of cycles. These batteries never die from "memory loss", but are flat worn out.

      Me...I'm just happy to occasionally pulse the 18 volt NiCad battery in my portable drill for odds and ends.

      Unlike a lead acid battery, never trickle charge a NiCad...It eventually kills it. I know some applications are made to normally keep them trickled, like a UPS power back up, or a NiCad Flashlight hooked up to a wallwart. Disconnect them occasionally, and let them run down a bit. Better yet, just use them. NiCads live longer when exercised...Lead Acids like to live in suspended animation, while being trickle charged.

      NiCads like to be fast charged, Lead acids slow.

      Handling, charging and using NiCads is almost the opposite of Lead Acid batteries.

      Don in Tulsa