Re: [a-w-h] Bergey XL-1 on a 48Volt Battery?

  • Dennis Scanlin
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30 2:34 PM
      We have observed the XL.1 to produce as much as 1700 watts at our site.
      [Image]

      [Image]

    • dmerrill7@juno.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
        Tom,
        Yes - I've got another guy whose breaker keeps tripping too. I called Bergey and they told me we had to install their $300 dump load unit, which I just did a month ago. I'm just waiting for the next big wind... not really confident that it will be the solution...

        Dave in Illinois

        -- "one4stumpy" <t_wiedmann@...> wrote:
        From my own personal experience with the xl.1, I can state that the 60
        amp breaker is there to keep the windings from burning out as
        happened with the 63 amp (slow blow?) fuse. With the breaker when I
        get a strong gusty wind it will trip, and then it runs unloaded which
        is pretty loud. I have seen the unit run all day above 45 amps at 26
        to 28 volts tripping the breaker occasionally. I would suggest you
        design accordingly.

        Tom

        --- In awea-wind-home@yahoogroups.com, "dmerrill7@j..."
        <dmerrill7@j...> wrote:

        > Thanks Frank / Jeff / Matt / Nando for the input and e-mail sources.
        I'll look them up and check them out.
        > In the mean time, I spent a few hours yesterday at the job site
        hooking up an automatic transfer relay to switch back and forth
        between the two halves of the battery every (12) hours. I used a big
        heavy duty relay (24 VDC coil) controlled by an inexpensive "modified"
        24 hour house light timer I had lying around. ( I spent over an hour
        tearing that thing apart and isolating the switch from the internal
        120 VAC circuit).
        > It works pretty neat, but it does use about 1 amp @ 24 VDC for 12
        hours of the day - not very cool. I did it for the challenge and just
        to see if it would work. It gave me something to do during the
        Christmas holiday - plus I had some fun doing it.
        > Nando: Your 40 amp unit would seem to be beefy enough to handle the
        output (28 volts @ 36 amps = the rated 1000 watt output) - however
        there's a 60 amp breaker on the wind control box that Bergey put there
        for a reason... probably that 1.57 factor thing <grin>. We'd have to
        consult on this one.

        > - Dave in Illinois
        >
        > -- "Frank Leslie" <fleslie@f...> wrote:
        >
        > Dave, Try http://www.solarconverters.com/ in Canada. I've been using
        two of the 20A versions for battery equalization for several years. I
        also have a 50A version but haven't connected it yet.
        Frank-----Original Message-----

        home Energy savings Energy Energy efficiency <!-- |**|end egp html