Re: Fwd: RE: [a-w-h] MPPT -- how large is the benefit?

  • HYDRO
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2005
      ED:

      MPPT is good for Solar, Wind and Hydro Small systems. 20 to 30 % improvement
      in harvested energy.

      MPPT is ideal for Wind Mills since it allows to harvest the peak power
      available at any moment BUT for this one needs that the generator is not
      clamped with a battery but allowed to rotate to its peak RPM ( within the
      RPM limitations of the mill) --
      One thing is that one can attain about up to 90 % efficiency if the
      generator is properly matched and for that you need MPPT controller.

      With a clamped wind mill ( battery direct charging) the maximum looks like
      is around 49-53 %

      For low power systems : The laws are simple : measure Generator voltage and
      start loading it, measure generator, increase load, measure generator,
      define energy slope for increasing or decreasing loading -- this goes
      up/down and the circuit being analog or digital follows a curve always going
      to the apex of the energy available at any moment, time is a factor as well.

      I have included an attachment of a small MPPT charge controller for your
      perusal.

      Nando