World Trade Center funding setback

  • dougselsam
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2004
      Just ran across the following article in the NT Times:

      http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/30/nyregion/30WTC.html?
      ex=1398657600&en=99123f35d091fe99&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND

      looks like they might have to make do with less funding than they
      had hoped for.
      I wonder what this means for the wind-turbines-in-the-belfrey idea?
      Seems like a good wind resource at that height but the folks I talk
      to seem to think it's quite a prominent place to try another version
      of a concept that hasn't really proven to work anywhere else yet
      (building-mounted turbines).
      Mounting turbines on a building in general though, if it could be
      done in a way that didn't bother the occupants, seems like a great
      idea, since in essence you have a de facto tower just begging to be
      utilized, especially if the building were really designed to take
      full advantage of wind energy, and maybe generate like say, extra
      electricity, more than they could even use in the building.
      The scenario as I understand it, is to generate 20% of the
      electricity. As a custom installation, that must be maintained on a
      daily basis, it seems like it will be quite a challenge to generate
      power more economically than simply buying green power off the grid,
      which I would think there is a good chance they'll end up doing. If
      it worked well, however, what a great trophy for wind energy.