[a-w-h] Re: blades

  • Eric Eggleston
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8 7:21 PM
      On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:17:13 -0500 "robert" <robt@...> writes:
      >hi folks,
      >has anyone wind tunnel ,or field tested, a blade system where the cone
      >is half or more of the total blade diameter?

      Yes, it has been tried. This is essentially an inside-out version of a
      diffuser/augmenter, that dumps more wind on a given rotor. The idea is
      sound, but it's practice is usually not great. The cost of the oversized
      spinner is usually more than that of a slightly larger rotor -- yet both
      yield more power.

      Play with the idea if you wish, but don't expect it to be the next new
      craze or make a fortune for you once you patent it. (I've heard rumor of
      these being put on small wind farm machines in California by an
      experimenter)

      Cheers,

      Eric

      or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/awea-wind-home