Bird kills

  • James Day
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2003
      Oh come on guys, there have been many studies that show the greatest killer of birds both in America and England are house cats. Last year a British study showed that several hundred thousand birds (mostly song birds) are killed every year by house cats hunting mostly at night. They generally don't eat the birds just hunt and kill.

      Annual windmill kills don't even come close to the numbers of birds killed in a week by house cats. So why don't the green troups talk about the fur balls????

    • Tom Gray
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2003
        - Yes. Audubon estimates at 100 million/year in U.S. Again, wind may
        eventually get up to 1%. I personally think we can write off the idea that
        wind energy and birds in general cannot coexist.

        - Obviously, Audubon IS talking about them, because there is an
        estimate. How much investigation have you done to determine what
        environmental groups are doing or saying on this issue?

        - There is still a legitimate case to be made that some wind plants in some
        locations may have an unacceptable impact on, for example, a threatened or
        endangered species (e.g., house cats don't kill many eagles).

        - There is also a legitimate case to be made that wind plants'
        disturbance/avoidance impacts could be proportionately more important in
        some regions (e.g., avoidance by grassland birds) than their collision
        impacts. More research is needed. That being said, IMHO it is not a valid
        reason to slam on the brakes on wind development to the levels we are
        likely to reach in the next few years. There is time to pursue research
        and development concurrently.

        Tom

        At 09:43 PM 7/31/2003 -0500, James Day wrote:
        >Oh come on guys, there have been many studies that show the greatest
        >killer of birds both in America and England are house cats. Last year a
        >British study showed that several hundred thousand birds (mostly song
        >birds) are killed every year by house cats hunting mostly at night. They
        >generally don't eat the birds just hunt and kill.
        >
        >Annual windmill kills don't even come close to the numbers of birds killed
        >in a week by house cats. So why don't the green troups talk about the
        >fur balls????
      • Robert Moskowitz
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
          At 09:43 PM 7/31/2003 -0500, James Day wrote:
          >Oh come on guys, there have been many studies that show the greatest
          >killer of birds both in America and England are house cats. Last year a
          >British study showed that several hundred thousand birds (mostly song
          >birds) are killed every year by house cats hunting mostly at night. They
          >generally don't eat the birds just hunt and kill.
          >
          >Annual windmill kills don't even come close to the numbers of birds killed
          >in a week by house cats. So why don't the green troups talk about the
          >fur balls????

          When I was a teen, I watched a flock of crows chasing a Great Horned Owl
          around. They could not get the owl, as it swooped among the trees. The
          next day I saw them chasing the owl again, but I found a few dead
          crows. The next day they were after that owl again, but there were fewer
          of them, and more dead under the powerlines. By the end of the week, the
          flock of crows were gone...

          Raptors are good for something! :)