Fwd: Re: Fwd: [a-w-h] Several Important Questions (I believe....)

  • P Kelble
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2003
      You bring up a good point Hugh.
      I was in too much of a hurry to explain well....
      I still like the method I described, however it has to be done very well,
      or else it may be worse.
      The wood blade has to be sealed in a way that is essentially
      waterproof. The wood blade should also be dry to begin with (about 10% to
      13% moisture content is good. The epoxy and urethane does breath, it just
      breathes very slowly or little. If there is not a break in the finish, the
      blade will last for many years and will not have to look "ratty" at all.
      The key is to never let the wood stay saturated by moisture (30% or
      more). When it is saturated, fungi will grow and decay will proceed, if at
      normal temps conducive for plant growth. The reason having a highly
      breathable finish works is that it doesn't spend much time saturated, as
      the blade dries out very quickly after it gets wet on a wind turbine.
      This info comes mainly from the days when I was building aircraft with
      wooden structural components and for obvious reasons had to learn how to
      keep the plane from falling apart.
      I have seen some of my wood/fiberglass blades (inside mounting holes,
      etc.) after about 15 years and was surprised at how they looked brand new,
      as if they were just drilled.
      Sticking to my story, so far ;)
      Pat K.