Re: [a-w-h] Teeter Hinge

  • Hugh
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2003
      At 6:33 PM +0000 28/2/03, Adam Brothers wrote:
      >Hello,
      >
      >I was just wondering, why do small 2 blade turbines not utilise a teeter
      >hinge as seen on all large scale 2 bladers? May be i am missing the point
      >but i would have thought that fatigue life was of major concern in small
      >turbines due to the great number of stress cycles they see in a relativly
      >short time.
      >
      >Anyone care to shed some light on this?

      Large wind turbine blades see big differences in windspeed as they
      sweep across large areas. Wind shear means that the wind is much
      higher during the upper part of the swept area. Small turbines do
      not suffer these forces. There are some gyroscopic forces in yaw
      instead. But a teetering hinge leads to unstable behaviour for
      machines with offset furling systems.

      Some pitch controlled blades have coning hinges but they are usually
      downwind machines.
      --
      Hugh

      On the Isle of Lismore