Re: [small-layout-design] Woodland Scenics "Tacky glue"

  • Bob Gerald
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 6, 2004
      Carol & Jerry -
      This is exactly what I have done. My track was the Micro Engineering code
      55 N scale stuff and the glue works great. I ran a bead down the middle of
      the roadbed and spread it with a chunk of thin cardboard. The stuff has a
      high tack which means that the roadbed and track pretty much stayed in place
      without having to hold it in place with pins. It also dries clear and
      remains flexible so that it helps cut down on noise. I would certainly
      continue to use it, though I believe you can get similar stuff at craft
      stores for a much cheaper price.

      HTH,
      Bob Gerald

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 7, 2004
        I've used both the WS glue and similar craft glue for foam. Works fine
        for stiff track, but if you have flex that wants to straighten out, I
        wouldn't rely on the glue alone.
        Art P

        > My track was the Micro Engineering code
        > 55 N scale stuff and the glue works great.

        > > I'm finally starting on a small shelf layout based on the timesaver plus
        > in
        > > the 2003 issue of Model Railroad Planning. I bought some Woodland
        > Scenics
        > > roadbed and also a bottle of their "tacky glue" for foam. Their
        > directions
        > > indicate that the glue can be used to adhere the track to the roadbed
        > > Has anyone actually adhered the track to the roadbed using this glue?
      • Chris Gilbert
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 7, 2004
          Hi All,

          I've just been in to my local model shop and picked up two very interesting small layout design books and can recommend them to your all

          Model Railway PLANNING AND DESIGN Handbook £18.95
          Where to put your Layout. £11.95

          While both books are based on British style of railways, they are full and I mean full of great layout plans and ideas.

          If anyone is interested the shop's email address is info@...

          .Chris Gilbert

          In a Very Wet South Staffordshire

        • Bruce Wilson
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 7, 2004
            Chris:

            Can you provide us with details about the authors, publishers and ISBN?

            At 17:55 4/7/04 +0100, you wrote:

            >Hi All,
            >
            >I've just been in to my local model shop and picked up two very
            >interesting small layout design books and can recommend them to your all
            >
            > Model Railway PLANNING AND DESIGN Handbook £18.95
            > Where to put your Layout. £11.95
            >
            >While both books are based on British style of railways, they are full and
            >I mean full of great layout plans and ideas.

            Bruce Wilson Barrie, Ontario, Canada
            reply to no_spam_wilsonbrucea@...
            remove no_spam_
          • Gail Trindle
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 7, 2004
              --- In small-layout-design@yahoogroups.com, ArtP <sigvarius@p...>
              wrote:
              > I've used both the WS glue and similar craft glue for foam. Works
              fine
              > for stiff track, but if you have flex that wants to straighten
              out, I
              > wouldn't rely on the glue alone.
              > Art P

              We have used the Woodland Scenics glue, and the regular heavy craft
              glue, and found them to be exactly the same. The craft glue is far
              less expensive in bulk form, as compared to the W.S. brand in the
              small bottle. We have hound that ground foam, and grass, etc. hold
              down a lot better than with plain old white glue and water/detergant
              mix. This is especially noticable when vacuming up after ballasting.

              Gail
            • Chris Gilbert
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 7, 2004
                Bruce Wilson <wilsonbrucea@...> wrote:
                Chris:

                Can you provide us with details about the authors, publishers and ISBN?

                No problem Bruce.
                "Where to put your layout" is written by Nigel Adams,
                Published by Cheona Publications
                ISBN I-900298-24-4

                "Model Railway Planning and Design Handbook is compiled by Steve Flint. Published by Santona Publications Hull UK
                ISBN 0-9538448-5-4

                Amazon.co.uk list the 2nd book.
                Hope this helps

              • wsor4490uk

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 7, 2004
                    Thanks.

                    At 22:44 07/04/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                    >No problem Bruce.
                    >"Where to put your layout" is written by Nigel Adams,
                    >Published by Cheona Publications
                    >ISBN I-900298-24-4
                    >
                    >"Model Railway Planning and Design Handbook is compiled by Steve
                    >Flint. Published by Santona Publications Hull UK
                    >ISBN 0-9538448-5-4
                    >
                    >Amazon.co.uk list the 2nd book.
                    >Hope this helps
                    >Chris

                    Bruce Wilson reply to:
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada no_spam_wilsonbrucea@...
                    remove the no_spam_
                  • Darryl Huffman
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 7, 2004
                      I've used the Woodland Scenics glue for years. What I like best is that if
                      I decide to change my trackplan later, you can simply pull their foam
                      roadbed up and reuse it.

                      I use slow setting ACC to adhere the track to the roadbed. I position the
                      track, set cans of vegetables on it with a couple of inches between cans,
                      and drop of a couple of drops of ACC onto the ties every few inches. And
                      then I let it set up. Works great. I see no reason to ever change.

                      Darryl Huffman
                      Anchorage, Alaska

                      Check out my web page at www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html for photos
                      of models of old buildings placed in a realistic setting.
                      > I'm finally starting on a small shelf layout based on the timesaver plus
                      in
                      > the 2003 issue of Model Railroad Planning. I bought some Woodland Scenics
                      > roadbed and also a bottle of their "tacky glue" for foam. Their directions
                      > indicate that the glue can be used to adhere the track to the roadbed as
                      > well as to adhere the roadbed to the foam base.
                      >
                      > Has anyone actually adhered the track to the roadbed using this glue?
                    • Carol & Jerry Jankura
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 16, 2004
                        Folks:

                        I'm in the process of adapting the TimeSaver+ layout that appeared in the
                        MRP-2003 edition. I've basically shortened the ends to fit the layout onto a
                        16"x75" shelf. I've got the track laid, so I'd be interested in your
                        suggestions of where I should be putting the uncoupling magnets.

                        Thanks,

                        -- Jery
                      • Thomas W. McCoy
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 24, 2004
                          Jerry,
                          I too was interested in the Timesaver+, but at 90 inches it was too
                          much. The most I can do is 18x 78. How about posting your track plan
                          to files so we can see how you modified it? Also did you use peco or
                          another brand of turnouts? What code rail did you use? I was
                          considering hand uncoupling with that stick tool. What structures did
                          you plan on using? I am trying to use a creamery, feed mill,
                          lumberyard, coal yard and some other late 40's early 50's industries
                          for the northeast. I look forward to more reports on your layout.
                          Tom

                          --- In small-layout-design@yahoogroups.com, "Carol & Jerry Jankura"
                          <jerry.jankura@s...> wrote:
                          > Folks:
                          >
                          > I'm in the process of adapting the TimeSaver+ layout that appeared
                          in the
                          > MRP-2003 edition. I've basically shortened the ends to fit the
                          layout onto a
                          > 16"x75" shelf. I've got the track laid, so I'd be interested in your
                          > suggestions of where I should be putting the uncoupling magnets.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > -- Jery
                        • shortliner2001
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 24, 2004
                            <jerry.jankura@s...> wrote:
                            > Folks:
                            >
                            > I'm in the process of adapting the TimeSaver+ layout that appeared
                            in the
                            > MRP-2003 edition. I've basically shortened the ends to fit the
                            layout onto a
                            > 16"x75" shelf. I've got the track laid, so I'd be interested in your
                            > suggestions of where I should be putting the uncoupling magnets.

                            Jerry- I've emailed John Flann who built it - so far no reply
                            Shortliner(Jack) away up here in the Highlands
                          • Mark Kendrick
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 24, 2004
                              G'day All,
                              I have posted an Inglenook Random Selector program for the mini-nook with
                              the 3-2-2 format on my website.
                              It can be found on the 'Other Stuff' page off the homepage. Also have a
                              second layout plan up, a downloadable .ral (Right Track freeware) of my
                              dockside plan and some latest thinkings and redraws from group suggestions.
                              www.geocities.com/mark_the_train_brain
                              Thanks,
                              Mark K
                              Sydney Aus