Christmas puddings

  • R B Shipman
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2000
      Hi, this is for all subscribers who have shown interest in Christmas puddings, especially Mary and Pat. The following recipe, strictly speaking is not a Slow Cooker recipe but I have experimented as I said I would, the results follow the recipe.
      Traditional Recipe for Christmas Pudding

      4ozs Bread Crumbs

      2 ozs Self Raising Flour

      4 ozs shredded suet.

      4 ozs brown soft sugar

      2 ozs chopped almonds

      2 ozs candid peel

      2 ozs chopped glacS cherries

      4 ozs seedles raisens

      4 ozs sultanas

      6 ozs currants

      Juice and grated rind of ½ lemon

      Juice and grated rind of ½ orange

      1 small cooking apple grated

      1 teaspoon mixed spice

      ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg

      ½ teaspoon salt

      2 large eggs

      Brandy

      Put all dried fruits into a bowl, pour a good measure of brandy over and allow the fruit to absorb the alcohol

      Prepare all remaining ingredients, beat the eggs

      Mix bread crumbs, flour, salt, suet, sugar and spices into a large mixing bowl

      Add grated lemon and orange zest and apple

      Add the dried fruit and brandy

      Add the lemon and orange juice

      Add the beaten eggs

      Mix well -traditionally all the members of the family should have a stir and make a wish (however I cannot guarantee it will come true)

      Put the mixture into a greased 2 pint pudding basin. Do not fill to the top as the pudding will rise a little on cooking.

      Place a disc of parchment paper on top of the mix (about the same diameter as the basin)

      Put lid on plastic basin or make a parchment paper cover if the basin has no lid, and secure with string.

      Place in a steamer and steam for 8 hours. Do Not let the pan boil dry.

      After cooking remove the lid/cover until pudding is cool then re-seal and keep in a cool dry place until Christmas Day.

      The pudding requires a further two hours steaming before serving.

      To serve

      Turn out of basin onto a plate and pour warm brandy over, put a sprig of Holly into the top of the pudding, light the brandy and take to the table whilst still flaming, when the flames stop serve (only give small portions, this is really rich) Tradiionall served with Brandy butter, Sauce or Cream

      I usually make double the amount and make several smaller puddings, they make wonderful gifts for elderly friends and relatives.

      It all seems a lot of work but it really is worth the effort and once they are made I feel I have started the preparations for Christmas.

      I experimented with the slow cooker putting about 2½ inches of water in a 5 litre crock and cooked two together on high for 2 hours reducing to low for a further 10 hours. The puddings were fine but the water stained the crock.

      I do hope that any one that tries this recipe (handed down in our family for several generations) enjoys it and please let me know how you get on after Christmas.

      Helen