Re: [slowcooker] hello, any ideas for candied yams?

  • Phil & Tracey Cameron
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2000
      Dear Deidre:

      I have two recipies for your. Unfortunately neither is for candied yams,
      but I thought that you might consider one of them.

      Sweet Potato Casserole

      2 cans (17oz. each) sweet potatoes (not in syrup), mashed
      Or 4 - 5 cups of fresh cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
      1/2 cup milk
      1/4 cup dry sherry
      6 tbsp. butter softened
      1 tsp. freshly grated lemon peel
      1/2 tsp. salt
      1/4 tsp nutmeg
      dash cayenne pepper
      4 eggs, beaten

      In a large bowl, beat sweet potatoes, milk, sherry and butter with an
      electric mixer until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and beat well.

      Pour into greased crockpot. cover and cook on high setting for 1 hour, then
      turn to low setting for 3 to 4 hours.

      Yield: 6 to 8 servings

      from "Rival Crockpot Cooking"

      Yam Casserole
      (this is an oven recipe, but I can't see why you couldn't do it in a slow
      cooker)

      2 cans drained sweet potatoes
      1 can crushed pineapple
      1/8 tsp. nutmeg
      2 tbsp. brown sugar
      1/4 cup butter
      dash salt

      Mash yams, add pineapple, salt, brown sugar and butter. Mix well.

      The original recipe then says to put into a casserole and bake at 375 until
      heated through.

      Likely, you could spray the liner and cook on low for 3 - 4 hours (I tend to
      use shorter cooking times because I find my cooker is a bit hot).

      Tracey