Re: [slowcooker] tips for beginners

  • Ryan, Kelly
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 5:57 AM
      Maria, these are great tips! Very good point about the rice and pasta.

      Here's a couple more:

      !) Many stove top and oven recipes can be converted to crockpot
      recipes. Since almost none of the juices get lost in crockpot cooking,
      the trick is to adjust the recipe so that only about half a cup of
      liquids go into the pot. (The meats and vegetables can ALMOST cook in
      their own liquids.)

      2) Don't take the lid off! It can take a LONG time for the heat to get
      back up to the right temperature AND it might not be safe to eat because
      of bacteria.

      Kelly

      PS It's amazing how this list is taking off!

      ----
      Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/slowcooker/
    • Maria Rost Rublee
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 6:17 AM
        On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Ryan, Kelly wrote:

        > 2) Don't take the lid off! It can take a LONG time for the heat to get
        > back up to the right temperature AND it might not be safe to eat because
        > of bacteria.

        Yes, I had to learn this one! I read recently that each time you take the
        lid off, it adds 15-30 minutes to the cooking time. Ouch! Knowing that
        helps me to keep my hands off. :)

        Maria

        ----
        Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/slowcooker/