Re: New Rival Crockpot

  • myron menaker
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2000
      Dear Jenny,

      It depends on the cost of it. If it's too expensive, I'd prefer two
      $9.95 crockpots for those occasions when I wanted to cook two different
      meals. You can vary the temperature and the time with two pots.
      And...you have two separate serving dishes for fondues and other items
      (dips, hot drinks). I've used all THREE of my crockpots on occasion.

      BTW, I did not notice a crockpot such as you describe on the Rival page,
      but I looked rather quickly:

      http://www.rivco.com/

      Good luck,

      Myron (aka Beach Boy)

      PS Please join me for "Cooking with Beach Boy," Sundays at 9pm ET, at:

      http://busycooks.about.com/home/busycooks/mpchat.htm

      (Heyyyyyy....that's tonight!!)

      Jenny Johanssen wrote:

      > Just saw an ad in the paper yesterday for a divided Crockpot (Rival
      > brand). the ad did not say how big the actual crock was or if it had a
      > removable crock, but did dwell on the benefits of being able to cook two
      > different dishes side by side. I may have to go to Walmart and take a
      > look. Has anyone else seen this new crockpot? - Jenny

      .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:.
      Myron Menaker Daytona Beach FL USA
      myronm@... |
      \ / _\/_
      .-'-. //o\ _\/_
      -- / \ -- | /o\\
      jgs^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^-=======-~^~^~^~~^~^~^~|~~^~^|^~`
      Canto ergo sum. |
      .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:.
    • Brent & Gail Van Ryn
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2000
        >Just saw an ad in the paper yesterday for a divided Crockpot (Rival
        >brand). the ad did not say how big the actual crock was or if it had a
        >removable crock, but did dwell on the benefits of being able to cook two
        >different dishes side by side. I may have to go to Walmart and take a
        >look. Has anyone else seen this new crockpot? - Jenny

        I also saw the ad and checked them out when I was in Wal-Mart today. Of
        course I had just bought a new one a few weeks ago when my 8-year-old one
        died, so I was curious to see if I "missed out." Well, not for my needs.
        The wells are smallish in my opinion, but then I use mine for roasts, whole
        chickens, large recipes for the freezer, etc etc. YMMV...

        Gail
      • Sandy
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2000
          Jenny, I haven't seen this one either but kept a newspaper article from Jan.
          2000 written by Natalie Haughton of the Los Angeles Daily News. She talked
          to Lori Baker, home economist for Rival in Kansas City, Mo. and was told the
          following:

          "Rival's latest innovation is the Crock-Pot Duet. The 5 1/2-quart oval pot
          has a divided stoneware insert with a permanent stoneware wall or divider
          that splits the pot into two separate compartments, one with about
          two-thirds of the total capacity, the other with one-third. It's designed to
          offer cooks flexibility and save them from buying two pots.
          For example, you can cook a vegetable or rice or dessert on the smaller side
          and cook meat, soup or chili on the large side. We prepared and served
          jambalaya with rice at a recent house show, and everyone loved it, said
          Baker. Although it has a single lid, we haven't experienced any mingling of
          flavors in our extensive recipe testing.
          You can start various recipes--using your favorites, or those that come with
          the pot--at the same time or different times. During testing, many consumers
          said they would prepare the same basic recipe but with different spices
          (i.e. with and without onions to appeal to their kids)."

          Well from what I know about the posters on this list, this new pot won't
          save us from buying two pots......we will probably just add it to our
          already growing collection! I have 3 as of now!

          Also in this same article....."Although some cooks are requesting healthier,
          low-fat recipes---and Rival has, in response, produced "Easy Low-Fat
          Cuisine," with 45 recipes, each with less than 15 grams of fat per serving,
          Baker believes that most people who use the pot on a regular basis aren't
          concerned about lowering fat. The book is available for $9.95 by calling
          800-557-4825."

          Hmmmmm, I think a lot of us are concerned with lowering fat, so I disagree
          with Baker on this point.
        • Ktpoole@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2000
            In a message dated 5/1/00 4:32:54AM, slowcooker@egroups.com writes:

            << New Rival Crockpot >>

            I saw this in WalMart yesterday. I can't imagine I would use it, but perhaps
            some people might. What does everyone think? Would this eliminate the need
            for cooking a side dish? That might be helpful.

            Kathleen
          • Karen Wheless
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2000
              >I saw this in WalMart yesterday. I can't imagine I would use it, but perhaps
              >some people might. What does everyone think? Would this eliminate the need
              >for cooking a side dish? That might be helpful.

              I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it would be tempting for me. I
              have a serious lack of space in my apartment, so buying two crockpots
              isn't an option (as it is, the only place to store my crockpot is on
              the stove, then I have to move it onto the floor when I use the stove
              and hope I don't trip over it). And I'm single, so unless I'm making
              extra for freezing (which I often do) I have a hard time getting the
              crock full enough. I hardly ever make a whole roast or cook a whole
              chicken. But I don't want to tie myself to one of those mini-crocks,
              I enjoy making a big crock of soup or stew and freezing the extras.
              Being able to make two things at once would be very handy! If I
              wanted to make a big pot of soup, I could just fill both halves with
              the same thing. The one thing that I would worry about it whether
              one half would end up cooking too long, a lot of side dishes don't
              need to cook for 8 hours. Since I'm at work during the day, I only
              make meals that can withstand a full day of cooking. Of course, I
              already have a crockpot and I'm not going to buy another one yet, but
              I've already shattered one crock when I dropped it and broke the
              handle on this one (but I glued it back together), it's only a matter
              of time before I'll need to replace another one...

              Karen
              --
              Karen Wheless kwheless@...

              When you have only two pennies left in the world,
              buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other