[slowcooker] Roasts

  • Michelle_Kringen@cch.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 1998
      What is everyones experience with putting liquid or not putting liquid in
      with a roast? I usually do not put enough liquid to cover the roast. But
      last time I made a tri-tip I put enough water (with a packet of onion soup
      mix) to cover the roast. It seemed to shrink less and be more flavorful.
      Which methods do you have better luck with?

      Michelle

    • BEATRICE HALL
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 1998
        Hi!

        Nice to see so many people active on the list, makes for great reading, and
        eating.

        I do a lot of roasting in my crockpot. I really depends on what type of
        meat I'm cooking as to how much water or liquid I add. If I'm doing a
        chicken, I add about 1/2 cup just to keep the juices from sticking too
        terribly badly. For pork roast that have a goodly amount of fat, I add
        about the same amount, again just to keep things from sticking.

        If I'm doing a beef/venison roast that is by nature tough or dry, I will add
        enough liquid to come up about half way. That way, by the time it cooks, it
        will be pretty well under water, and stewed more than roasted.

        It is a lot of trial and error, and personal preference. If there isn't
        enough liquid to make copious amounts of gravy, then my husband, daughter
        and dog are a bit upset with me!

        Bea

      • Gina
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2001
          A favorite of ours is mile high shredded beef. We get an inexpensive roast (whatever is on sale) I cook it all day shred it and leave it on low in the juices another hour or so then make smothered burritos. Tortilla, beans, rice, cheese, in the burrito. then put the burrito into a 9x13 PAM'd pan it fits about 8-10 FAT burritos. pour encilada sauce over them and top with cheese put in the oven until the cheese melts Top with lettuce and sour cream. My family LOVES them! Here is the recipie for the meat

          * Exported from MasterCook *

          shredded beef

          Recipe By :
          Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
          Categories :

          3 pounds chuck roast
          2 tablespoons vegetable oil
          1 medium onion -- chopped
          2 cups beef broth
          6 cloves garlic
          1 teaspoon salt
          3/4 cup catsup
          4 tablespoons brown sugar
          2 tablespoons vinegar
          1 teaspoon dry mustard
          1/2 teaspoon chili powder
          5 drops hot sauce
          1 bay leaf
          1/4 teaspoon paprika
          1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
          1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce

          brown beef in oil on both sides. Add onion when
          meat is almost browned. Put in CP Add broth and spices; cover on low for 10-12 hrs
          Remove meat; Shred and return to juices for 1+ hrs .

          "shredded beef for burritos"

          Gina
          http://www.glewman.com