[slowcooker] Help- how about 6 ingredient recipes (or less)

  • Don Rhea
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 1999
      Hello slo-cookers- I an newly widowered and new to this list - age 68
      in AZ- I love the slow cooler but am intimidated by recipes with 12 to
      20 different ingredients.
      It would be great if some of you could suggest some favorite recipes
      with no more than 6 or 7 ingredients. Many thanks,

      Don Rhea
      1490 Leisure World
      Mesa, AZ
      donrhea@...
    • Eileen Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 1999
        Welcome, Don!

        I am sure that you will get plenty of suggestions, but I can give you a few
        of my no-brainers that I use when I NEED a crockpot meal and just don't feel
        up to working too hard!

        First, turkey or chicken with a bottle of bbq sauce makes wonderful bbq
        sandwiches. I do this with cooked leftover turkey from the freezer and my
        husband loves it.

        I also do very basic crockpot stew with cheap round steak, my favorite
        vegetables (especially potatoes and onions) layered on top in slices and
        cover with water or broth.

        Just two basic, very easy ideas. <smile>

        Eileen
        eileen@...
      • pals@goldrush.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 1999
          Don,
          How about 4 ingredients?
          Cheesy Chicken
          2-4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
          abt one teaspoon garlic powder sprinkled over them (or to YOUR taste)
          One can Campbells cheese soup (you can vary this with Broccoli Cheese soup
          or Fiesta (a little more spicy ) Cheese soup
          One can Cream of Chicken Soup ( I use reduced fat--but either one works)
          Put chicken breasts in crockpot
          Sprinkle with garlic powder
          Mix two soups together well then pour over chicken breasts
          Cook about 6-7 hours on low (half that on high)
          We like to serve over cooked noodles (makes it like macaroni and cheese)
          Son (14 years old) and husband particularly LOVE this one.
          Good luck, dianne
          > Hello slo-cookers- I an newly widowered and new to this list - age 68
          > in AZ- I love the slow cooler but am intimidated by recipes with 12 to
          > 20 different ingredients.
          > It would be great if some of you could suggest some favorite recipes
          > with no more than 6 or 7 ingredients. Many thanks,
          >
          > Don Rhea
          > 1490 Leisure World
          > Mesa, AZ
          > donrhea@...

          > Get 75% Off Our Best Selling Health and Wellness Books!
          > SelfCare.com has everything you need to take care of you and your family,
          > plus spend $40 or more and your shipping is free!
          > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1824

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/slowcooker/?m=1

        • Hollander
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 1999
            Welcome to the list, Don!

            My favorite, easy crockpot dish, which I think is called "Smothered
            chicken," has only three ingredients: chicken breasts (cut into small
            pieces) with cream of mushroom soup and a jar (or can) of mushrooms, drained
            & rinsed. I rinse canned beans and veggies to get rid of some of the salt
            residue, as we are on a low salt diet. Toss them all together in the
            slowcooker and cook on low about 5 hours. Serve over rice. Another tip
            that I got off this list (thank you to whoever posted it): cook a big pot
            of rice and then freeze it in smaller portions. When you make a meal like
            this, all you have to do is microwave the rice and you're ready for dinner.

            Hope this helps!

            Jeannie

            Hello slo-cookers- I an newly widowered and new to this list - age 68
            in AZ- I love the slow cooler but am intimidated by recipes with 12 to
            20 different ingredients.
            It would be great if some of you could suggest some favorite recipes
            with no more than 6 or 7 ingredients. Many thanks,

            Don Rhea
            1490 Leisure World
            Mesa, AZ
            donrhea@...

            Click here!
            eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/slowcooker
          • BARBARA BANKS
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 1999
              How about 4 ingredients???

              BEEF 'N' MUSHROOM GRAVY

              1-1/2 beef round or cube steaks (I assumed this should have been pounds)
              1 can cream of mushroom soup
              1 envelope onion soup mix
              1/4 cup water

              Place beef in slowcooker, combine remaining ingredients and pour over meat.
              Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. The gravy is delicious over mashed
              potatoes.

              My husband and I tried this recipe last week and it is definitely out of
              this world. I used cubed steak and substituted cream of celery soup for
              the cream of mushroom. (I'm not crazy about mushrooms.) We served it over
              rice. Wonderful gravy and the meat was so tender, it cut with a fork. The
              only problem you may have is, we got three meals out of 1 1/2 lbs of meat
              and I don't know if it freezes well or not. DH wanted to have it the third
              night instead of letting me freeze it.

              Barbara

              NOTE: Donna from Alabama posted this to the list saying that she hadn't
              tried it. C. Dawson Yeomans tried it and posted the following comments:
              It was out of this world. The gravy is delicious. We had it over rice.
              The cube steaks were so tender. I know this is a repost and she said that.
              she found it on the Dollar Stretcher newsletter.

              PS: Would say this recipe is highly recommended.

              ----------
              > From: Hollander <hollander@...>
              > To: Don Rhea <donrhea@...>; slowcooker@...
              > Subject: [slowcooker] Re: Help- how about 6 ingredient recipes (or less)
              > Date: Saturday, December 04, 1999 10:59 PM
              >
              > Welcome to the list, Don!
              >
              > My favorite, easy crockpot dish, which I think is called "Smothered
              > chicken," has only three ingredients: chicken breasts (cut into small

            • Kim J. Adams
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 1999
                Here is one super easy recipe that comes out very good. It's been posted
                here and raved about a lot. I've even put this into a salad with my normal
                toppings. It also freezes very well so you don't have to worry about making
                too much.

                Chicken Tacos

                1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
                1 packet taco seasoning
                1 c. chicken broth

                combine in crock; cook 6-8 hours on low. Removed breasts from crock and
                fork-shred. Spoon a bit of the juice over it if desired. Serve on warmed
                tortillas with cheese, salsa, sour cream, black olives...anything your
                taco heart desires! I've also been known to spoon some leftover brown
                rice into the meat after cooking.

                Here's another!

                Now this may sound scary at first, but I got a very good response when I
                first made this recipe. You can also use Chicken or Pork instead of Turkey.

                3 lb. Turkey Breast (frozen)
                1 can cranberry sauce (jellied type)
                1 envelope onion soup mix (dry)

                Place frozen turkey breast in crockpot. Mix together cranberry sauce and
                soup mix and pour over top (spread, really). Cook on high for 2 hours and
                low for an additional 4-5 hours.

                If turkey breast does not fit in the crockpot, thaw and cut into pieces.
                cook on high for 1 hour and low for 3-4 hours.

                Thicken sauce (or use as is) and serve over rice, noodles or potatoes.

                Variations: you can add wine to the cranberry/onion soup mix mixture, or
                apple or orange juice works, too. This recipe also works well with pork
                loin chops, chicken, and pork loin.

                I hope these help :) Welcome to the group :)

                Kim
                /*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
                When you've hurt everyone and they never forgive you,
                When there's no one to cling to and they don't smile back,
                When there's no one there to see your loneliness,
                What will you do?
                -KJW
                /*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
              • Lisadenice@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 1999
                  I have a couple that I can think of.

                  Delicious Pot Roast

                  3 or 4 pound beef roast
                  1 can cream of mushroom soup
                  1 envelope lipton onion soup mix (dry)
                  1/2 soup can water

                  Brown roast in skillet. Pour half of the cream of soup
                  and half the lipton soup on the bottom of the crockpot.
                  Add the roast. Pour the other half (more like spread)
                  on top of the roast. Add 1/2 can of soup can water
                  on and around the roast and place in crock pot for
                  about 6 hours on low.

                  This will make the most delicious gravy. I sometimes thicken
                  it with cornstarch. Check for doneness by slicing the roast
                  first - every crockpot seems to vary!

                  Pork and apples

                  1 lb boneless pork
                  1 white onion
                  3 to 4 granny smith apples
                  dab of butter
                  sprinkle of cinnamon & nutmeg

                  Brown pork if you like. Slice onions and green apples very thin
                  (I use the food processor). Then, place the onions on the bottom,
                  the pork in the middle and the apples on top (or you can mix some
                  onions on top too) and then season with a dab of butter and
                  the cinnamon and nutmeg.

                  Cook on low about 5 hours.

                  Lisa
                • Myron Menaker
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 1999
                    Dear Don,

                    Welcome to the list!

                    I was a widower too......and that's when I learned to cook! Most of the
                    crockpot recipes I use are not really recipes at all! I use this
                    formula:

                    1. Meat or chicken
                    2. Veggies, if desired
                    3. Liquid of choice
                    4. Spices, salt, pepper, to taste
                    5. Cook all day on low

                    However, for lots of ideas, many with six ingredients or less, I'd
                    recommend that you look at this site:

                    http://southernfood.miningco.com/home/southernfood/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

                    Try "Myron's Asian Pork Roast" --- only *five* ingredients!

                    Happy crocking!

                    Myron (aka Beach Boy)

                    PS Please join me for "Cooking with Beach Boy" on Sundays at 9pm ET at:

                    http://busycooks.about.com/home/busycooks/mpchat.htm

                    Don Rhea wrote:

                    > Hello slo-cookers- I an newly widowered and new to this list - age 68
                    > in AZ- I love the slow cooler but am intimidated by recipes with 12 to
                    > 20 different ingredients.
                    > It would be great if some of you could suggest some favorite recipes
                    > with no more than 6 or 7 ingredients. Many thanks,

                    .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:.
                    Myron Menaker Daytona Beach FL USA
                    myronm@... |
                    \ / _\/_
                    .-'-. //o\ _\/_
                    -- / \ -- | /o\\
                    jgs^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^-=======-~^~^~^~~^~^~^~|~~^~^|^~`
                    "Keep the Whole World Singing!" |
                    .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:.
                  • Quick 'n' Easy Recipes
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 5, 1999
                      Sloppy Janes

                      Ready In: 2 - 3 hours
                      Servings: 2

                      Ingredients:
                      1 pkg. (about 10) hot dogs sliced
                      1 (28 oz.) can baked beans
                      1 tsp. prepared mustard
                      1 tsp. instant minced onion
                      1/3 cup chili sauce
                      5-6 hot dog buns toasted

                      Directions:
                      In a crock-pot combine hot dogs, beans, mustard, onion and chili sauce.
                      Cover and cook on low 2-3 hours.
                      Spoon over toasted hot dog buns.

                      *** Quick 'n' Easy Recipes ***
                      Fast, simple cooking for everyone