Re: [slowcooker] Cream of ? Soup

  • FiddlArnd@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1 12:42 AM
      Has anyone done a cost comparison on this? Cream soups in general are fairly
      inexpensive & a jar of chicken bullion just cost me $3.89! (ouch, but it was a
      big jar) I'm not sure about the cost of the powdered milk, the spices are all
      pretty much staples here so I don't really count those. lol Is the main
      benefit of this just that you know what's in there or ?

      ----
      Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/slowcooker/
    • Judy Ryder
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1 11:35 AM
        At 03:42 AM 8/1/98 EDT, you wrote:
        >Has anyone done a cost comparison on this? Cream soups in general are fairly
        >inexpensive & a jar of chicken bullion just cost me $3.89! (ouch, but it was a
        >big jar) I'm not sure about the cost of the powdered milk, the spices are all
        >pretty much staples here so I don't really count those. lol Is the main
        >benefit of this just that you know what's in there or ?

        I think there are two main benefits for me. The biggie is I know what I am putting in my body and the second is that I can control the fat and salt.
        Just my two cents worth

        Judy of Maine homebod@...

        Bar-be-que (bar*bi*q) n
        You bought the groceries, washed the lettuce, chopped
        the tomatoes, diced the onions, marinated the meat
        and cleaned everything up, but, he, "made the dinner."

        ----
        Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/slowcooker/
      • Melani D. Carey
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3 4:32 PM
          > Has anyone done a cost comparison on this? Cream soups in general are fairly
          > >inexpensive & a jar of chicken bullion just cost me $3.89!

          Using Mastercook, I calculated the cost per serving on this (the recipe
          states to use 1/3 C of the mix to equal 1 can of soup) and the mix ONLY
          costs $.47/serving. However, I did find bullion granuales at Kroger for
          $.99 for 2 oz (regular price). If you add 2 ounces of chicken (which is
          probably WAAAY more than Campbells includes in their's) the cost goes to
          $.74/serving, which is still less than a can at the grocery store.

          Melani C.

          ----
          Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/slowcooker/
        • ALISON_SEITZ@HP-Boise-om2.om.hp.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 4 8:52 AM
            As far as the cost of making your own cream of whatever soup, you do
            come out ahead. The recipe I use (posted below) calls for 1/4 cup of
            bouillon, to make the equivalent of 9 cans of soup. If the $3.89 jar
            of bouillon you purchased contains 1 cup of bouillon, it would make 4
            batches, or 36 cans of soup, so the bouillon cost would be 10.8 cents
            per can. Total cost including the other ingredients would still
            probably be 25 cents per can or less. Regular cans of Campbells are
            50-60 cents in my area. However, one additional advantage of making
            your own is that you are getting a NO-FAT cream soup, and the cans of
            no or low fat campbell's cream soups run 80 cents to $1.00 in my area.
            Also, if you'd like to restrict your sodium intake, you can purchase
            low-sodium bouillon to use. Saving 25-75 cents per can may not seem
            like a lot, but multiplied by the number of cans you go through in a
            typical year, it certainly adds up. And it's really not much work. I
            have a batch of mix in an old peanut butter jar with lid in my pantry.
            I have the ingredients/instructions printed out and taped onto the jar.
            When I need a can of cream of whatever, I measure out a little mix and
            water into a saucepan, cook for a few minutes, and dump it in my
            recipe. When the mix runs out, I just dump in more ingredients. I
            have a similar method for Taco seasoning and Ranch salad dressing mix,
            both of which I got from the Make-A-Mix Cookery Book.

            Cream-of-Whatever Soup Mix (Makes equivalent of 9 cans):
            2 c Powdered nonfat milk
            3/4 c Cornstarch
            1/4 c Instant chicken bouillon
            2 tb Dried onion flakes
            1 ts Basil leaves
            1 ts Thyme leaves
            1/2 ts Pepper

            NOTE: To use in place of canned cream soups in casseroles or as a
            base for your own soups. Much lower in fat and salt than the canned
            versions. The trick is to have it made up ready to use! Combine all
            ingredients, mixing well. Store in an airtight container until ready
            to use. To SUBSTITUTE FOR ONE CAN OF CONDENSED SOUP: Combine
            1/3 cup of dry mix with 1 1/4 cups of cold water in a saucepan. Cook
            and stir until thickened. Add to casseroles as you would the canned
            product. Makes equivalent of 9 cans of soup. Source: The New American
            Diet, c1986

            ----------

            Has anyone done a cost comparison on this? Cream soups in general are fairly
            inexpensive & a jar of chicken bullion just cost me $3.89! (ouch, but it was a
            big jar) I'm not sure about the cost of the powdered milk, the spices are all
            pretty much staples here so I don't really count those. lol Is the main
            benefit of this just that you know what's in there or ?
          • The Reed's
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 4 11:35 AM
              Alison,
              I am interested to know the recipe's for the taco seasoning as well as the
              ranch dressing. I thought others maybe equally as interested . The cream
              of soup mix idea you sent is great!!! My husband has recently had to cut
              back on sodium due to high blood pressure. I had to cut out all canned
              soups and processed foods, but this sounds like a great healthier
              alternative for my family.
              Thank you
              Tabitha

              ----------

            • Terri Neff
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 18, 2006
                Posted by: "Christi Hicks" cgl1539@... cgl1539 Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:39 pm (PST) I have this recipe for cream of soups, I have never seen cream of
                onion either but this recipe might help you make your own if you
                wanted to.
                Homemade Cream Soup
                CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com
                Category: Cream Soup
                Serves/Makes: 9 | Difficulty Level: 2 | Ready In: < 30
                minutes

                Ingredients:
                2 cups Powdered nonfat milk
                3/4 cup Cornstarch
                1/4 cup (or less) instant chicken(or Vegetable if you prefer)
                Boullion
                2 tablespoons Dried onion flakes
                1 teaspoon Basil leaves
                1 teaspoon Thyme leaves
                1/2 teaspoon Pepper
                Directions:
                To use in place of canned cream soups in casseroles or as a base for
                your own soups. Much lower in fat and salt than the canned versions.
                The trick is to have it made up ready to use! Combine all
                ingredients, mixing well. Store in an airtight container until ready
                to use. To sustitute for one can of condensed soup: Combine 1/3 cup
                of dry mix with 1 1/4 cups of cold water in saucepan. Cook and stir
                until thickened. Add to casserole as you would the canned product.
                Variations: Mushroom Soup: Add 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
                Celery Soup: Add 1/2 cup minced celery
                Potato Soup: Add 1 cup diced potatoes, cooked
                Chicken Soup: Add 1/2 cup diced chicken, cooked
                Vegetable Soup: Add 3/4 cup mixed vegetables, cooked
                Broccoli Soup: Add 1 cup chopped broccoli, cooked
                Asparagus Soup: Add 1 cup chopped asparagus, cooked

                I used the above recipe and it works very well! I made up a douple batch, and then put 1/3 c into the little snack ziploc bags and put all of those into a container, so they were ready to go when I was. It has a very good flavor, not just thick like the canned cream of soups. Terri Denver, CO

              • Gretchen Cranmer
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 19, 2006
                  Posted by: "Christi Hicks" cgl1539@...
                  <mailto:cgl1539%40yahoo.com> cgl1539 Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:39 pm (PST) I
                  have this recipe for cream of soups, I have never seen cream of
                  onion either but this recipe might help you make your own if you
                  wanted to.
                  Homemade Cream Soup

                  Long-time lurker, had a question... I have a hard time keeping cream of
                  mushroom soup in the house 'cause my daughter will eat it like regular
                  soup. Does this mix only work to be mixed in with casseroles, or is it
                  tasty enough to be eaten?

                  thanx - Gretchen

                  ~~~~~

                  Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when
                  they get mad,

                  you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

                • Dorothy Simmons
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 19, 2006
                    I found Campbell's Cream of Onion today in the Kroger store and it was on the top shelf. I have my pot roast crocking now and if it half as good as it smells, I will be happy.

                    later

                    Dottie

                    Gretchen Cranmer <gcranmer@...> wrote:
                    Posted by: "Christi Hicks" cgl1539@...
                    <mailto:cgl1539%40yahoo.com> cgl1539 Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:39 pm (PST) I
                    have this recipe for cream of soups, I have never seen cream of
                    onion either but this recipe might help you make your own if you
                    wanted to.
                    Homemade Cream Soup

                    Long-time lurker, had a question... I have a hard time keeping cream of
                    mushroom soup in the house 'cause my daughter will eat it like regular
                    soup. Does this mix only work to be mixed in with casseroles, or is it
                    tasty enough to be eaten?

                    thanx - Gretchen

                    ~~~~~

                    Before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when
                    they get mad,

                    you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

                    Later

                    Dottie
                    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. - Robert A. Heinlein

                  • Gail
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 19, 2006
                      I did a search and found that they also make others that I have never seen
                      in the stores.

                      Cream of Shrimp
                      Cream of Squash Flower

                      This site lists all the cream soups along with creamy soups
                      http://www.foodlocker.com/brands-c-campbell-s-soups.html

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 20, 2006
                        The recipe I have, does tastey enough to be eaten alone. It is the
                        recipe with the dried minced onion and spices in it (I saw it posted
                        here). The plain jane MYO mix, I would not think it would be very
                        tasty.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 21, 2006
                          I've seen cream of shrimp (not recently, but I vaguely remember it).
                          Cream of squash flower???? I wonder which market that went to?

                          Jan
                        • Kristen L. Koster
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 21, 2006
                            On Oct 21, 2006, at 6:56 AM, Jan Greenberg wrote:

                            > I've seen cream of shrimp (not recently, but I vaguely remember it).
                            > Cream of squash flower???? I wonder which market that went to?

                            I've seen the cream of squash flower in Austin, Tx in the more
                            upscale stores. I could get cream of shrimp there too, but not here
                            in San Diego, CA. It's all about regional cooking and tastes. =)

                            -Kristen