[slowcooker] Cooking Light recipes

  • Maria Rost Rublee
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31 6:00 AM
      Here are three crockpot recipes that appeared in the May 1998 Cooking
      Light. I have posted the meatball one before but am reposting since some
      may not have seen it. I have only tried the meatball one, and it was
      delicious (though very rich tasting).

      Also, I e-mailed the editor to compliment on the recipes, and they told me
      they have a "Cooking Light with Crockpots" article coming out in a future
      issue (I think in September). Needless to say, I am watching the
      newsstands! --Maria

      Marinated Flank Steak with Cranberry-raspberry Salsa
      From May 1998 Cooking Light

      "My family and friends are convinced that this is one of those long,
      involved gourmet recipes that requires hours of slaving in the kitchen.
      But it couldn't be simpler to make. I just put all the ingredients in a
      slow cooker and let it cook itself." --Dana Misner, Woodbury, MN

      1/4 cup chili sauce
      1/4 cup lime juice
      3 drops hot pepper sauce
      1 (1.25 ounce) package low-sodium taco seasoning
      2 pounds flank steak
      3/4 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
      1/2 cup cilantro sprigs
      1 tablespoon chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
      1 tablespoon lime juice
      1 teaspoon ground cumin
      1 (12-ounce) carton cranberry-raspberry crushed fruit (such as Ocean
      Spray)
      16 (8-inch) flour torillas

      1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Trim fat from steak.
      Place steak in an electric slow cooker; add chili sauce mixture, turning
      the steak to coat. Cover with lid, and cook on high-heat setting for 1
      hour. Reduce heat setting to low; cook for 9 hours.

      2. Combine the onions, cilantro, and jalapeno pepper in a food processor,
      and pulse 5 times or until finely chopped. Add 1 tablespoon lime juice,
      cumin, and cranberry-raspberry crushed fruit, and process until smooth.
      Spoon mixture into a bowl; cover and chill.

      3. Remove steak from slow cooker, discarding the cooking liquid. Shread
      steak. Warm tortillas according to package. Spread about 1.5 tablespoons
      salsa over each tortilla. Spoon about 1/2 cup shredded steak down center
      of each tortilla; roll up. Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 filled
      tortilla).

      Calories 278 (24% from fat); Fat 7.4 g (sat 2.3g, mono 3g, poly 1.5g);
      Protein 12.8g; Carb 38.3g; Fiber 2g; Chol 21mg; Iron 2.7mg; Sodium 451mg;
      Calc 70mg.

      Crock-Pot Chili
      From May 1998 Cooking Light

      "This is my children's favorite meal. What more can I say?" --Patti A.
      Jensen, Wiltshire, England.

      1 pound ground round
      1 cup chopped onion
      1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
      1/4 cup dry red wine or water
      1 tablespoon chili powder
      1 teaspoon sugar
      1 teaspoon ground cumin
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1 garlic clove, minced
      1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
      1 (14.5 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatos with jalapeno peppers and
      spices, undrained
      6 tablespoons (1.5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra sharp cheddar cheese

      1. Cook the ground round in a large non-stick skillet over medium high
      heat until brown, stirring to crumble. Add chopped onion and the next 7
      ingredients (onion through garlic), and cook for 7 minutes until onion is
      tender. Place meat mixture in an electric slow cooker, and stir in beans
      and tomatoes. Cover with lid, and cook on low-heat setting for 4 hours.
      Spoon into bowls; sprinke with cheese. Yield: 6 servings (serving size
      1.25 cups chili and 1 tablespoon cheese).

      Note: The chili can be made on a stovetop as well. After adding the
      beans and the tomatoes, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, partially
      cover, 1.5 hours.

      Calories 243 (21% from fat); Fat 5.6g (sat 2.3g, mono 1.8g, poly 0.5g);
      Protein 25.5g; Carb 22.9g; Fiber 3.1g; Chol 49mg; Iron 4.1mg; Sodium
      637mg; Calc 154mg.

      Aunt Jenny's Slow-Cooker Meatballs

      1.5 pounds extra-lean ground beef
      1 cup dry breadcrumbs
      1/2 cup egg substitute
      1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
      2 tablespoons minced fresh onion
      1/3 cup ketchup
      2 tablespooons brown sugar
      1 tablespoon lemon juice
      1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
      1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
      Parsley sprigs (optional)

      1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; shape mixture into 30 (1.5
      inch) meatballs.

      2. Combine ketchup, sugar, juice and sauces in an electric slow cooker;
      gently stir in meatballs. Cover with lid; cook on low-heat setting for 8
      to 10 hours. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Yield: 10 servings
      (serving size: 3 meatballs and about 2 tablespoons sauce).

      Calories 263 (14% from fat); Fat 4.1g (sat 1.4g, mono 1.7g, poly 0.3g);
      Protein 18.7g; Carb 37.1g; Fiber 0.9g; Chol 39mg; Iron 2.9mg; Sodium
      721mg; Calc 47mg.

      (My notes: The second time we made this, I put in a bit less chili sauce
      and replaced it with ketchup. It was less "spicy" this way and we really
      liked it. But either way, it was really great. And it stretches the 1.5
      pounds of meat--it made several dinners and lunches for us!)

      ----
      Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/slowcooker/