Re: [slowcooker] Stuffing

  • Michael & Maureen Jackson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 1998
      re:>> Once, I put together a pot of Calico Beans
      (from cans) and the other time I did a double or triple batch of stove
      top
      stuffing, (with the addition of fresh onion, celery, small amount of
      grated
      carrot, chopped water chestnuts and perhaps a quarter cup raisins.)<<

      What are "Calico Beans" and how do you do Stove Top in the Crock???
      --
      ttfn ~ maureen jackson, bcce
      san jose, ca

      ----
      Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/slowcooker/
    • lschroe3
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 1998
        Just wanted to pass on the information that I made one of my stuffings
        in the crock pot this year and it was wonderful. It turned out so well,
        that I intend to do it every year.

        The recipe I used is one I found somewhere else...have not got a clue
        where! It follows for anyone else to try from now on!

        Apple-Sausage Slow Cooker Stuffing

        1 1/2 cup chopped onion
        1 1/2 cup diced celery
        1 1/2 cup chopped granny smith apples (peeled or not)
        12 cups of dried bread cubes
        1 1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
        1 tsp. salt
        1/2 tsp. pepper
        1/2 cup water or chicken broth
        1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
        8 to 16 oz. ground pork sausage, to taste

        Brown an drain sausage. Combine sausage with all ingredients except
        butter and water/broth. Spoon into 5 qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook
        on low for 4-5 hours, stirring once. Makes about 12 servings.

        I used canned chicken broth. I also used a prepackaged stuffing called
        Franz that has a seasoning packet. I used this seasoning packet and
        omitted the seasonings called for in the recipe. Also used one roll of
        Jimmy Dean regular sausage in this recipe. It makes a ton! But was so
        good.

        Thanks to all the nice people who have commented on the make-ahead
        potatoes. This is the only way to make them for the holidays and our
        family favorite. Wondering if anyone tried my make-ahead gravy recipe I
        got out of Family Circle Magazine. We had it this year and thought it
        was wonderful.

        Still eating leftovers.....

        Linda
        Poulsbo, WA.

      • dianne soares
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
          Here's a recipe that is what I use as a base (I sometimes use prepared
          store-bought bread cubes instead of the day-old bread cubes). I usually add
          some cooked crumbled Italian sausage (a few links) and some canned or thawed
          frozen artichoke hearts (not marinated!) cut up at the start and pre-cooked
          salad shrimp about 2 hours before it's done, I use egg beaters for the eggs.
          I also use fresh sage (double the amount in the recipe). I also butter (or
          spray with Pam) the slowcooker before I put the stuffing in.
          I think you could easily cook this on high for 1 hour and low for 2 and it
          would be fine.
          My family demands I make this stuffing every year. :-)
          dianne

          P.S. I think I got this basic recipe from this list but don't remember who
          posted it.

          Moist Poultry Dressing

          Recipe By : Quick Cooking, March/April 2000
          Serving Size : 14 Preparation Time :0:00
          Categories : Breads Crockpot
          Stuffing

          9 ounces sliced mushrooms -- drained
          4 ribs celery -- chopped
          2 medium onions -- chopped
          1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
          3/4 cup butter or margarine
          13 cups day-old bread cubes
          1 1/2 teaspoons salt
          1 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
          1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
          1 tea dried thyme
          1/2 tea pepper
          2 eggs
          14 1/2 ounces chicken broth

          In a large skillet, sauté the mushrooms, until the vegetables are tender. In
          a large bowl, toss the bread cubes with salt, sage, poultry seasoning,
          thyme and pepper. Add the mushroom mixture. combine eggs and broth; add
          to the bread mixture and toss. Transfer to a slow cooker. cover and cook
          on low for 4-5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160F.

          Yield: 12-16 servings.