Cooking grains in Slow Cooker

  • Barbara
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21, 2013
      I cook Steel Cut Oats overnight in my slow cooker every week ......... also have done rice.

      I think any kind of hard grain would cook well in the slow cooker but the only sure-fire way to find out is to try it with whatever kind of grain you want to cook.

      Just remember to use the 2 liquid to 1 grain ratio and cook on LOW.

      Barb ☺
    • runner_dude
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 21, 2013
        thanks barb

        so i take it none of the slow cookers or
        crockpots have a feature where they shut off automatically
        once all the liquid has been absorbed ??

        i don't currently own one but was thinking
        of buying one if i can use it to cook whole grains,
        which i eat every day

        thanks

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 21, 2013
          On 12/21/2013 12:16 PM, Barbara wrote:

          I cook Steel Cut Oats overnight in my slow cooker every week ......... also have done rice.

          I think any kind of hard grain would cook well in the slow cooker but the only sure-fire way to find out is to try it with whatever kind of grain you want to cook.

          Just remember to use the 2 liquid to 1 grain ratio and cook on LOW.

          Barb ☺

          It works for me.  I add berries and/or other fruit.

        • Charlotte
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 21, 2013
            You are correct.  Some shift to warm. The main thing with CPs is to make the juices from the meats in the pot as it tenderizes it (since it cooks really slowly)

            Charlotte
            The 'earth' without 'art' is just 'eh' from my iPhone

            On Dec 21, 2013, at 2:33 PM, <christopher_cms@...> wrote:

            so i take it none of the slow cookers or crockpots have a feature where they shut off automatically once all the liquid has been absorbed ??
          • Lance M
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 21, 2013
              No, none of the crockpots I know of have a sensor to detect when the
              temp gets past a certain point like rice cookers do. They are made to
              come to a certain temp and stay there until turned off (or after a
              certain amount of time they drop to low.)
              But they do make a great pot of oatmeal overnite, and can handle many
              other grains quite well.

              What I would do is find a crockpot (slowcooker of whatever brand) at a
              good will or other thrift store. (remember, the older the better, imho.
              if you can find a 70's crockpot with a glass lid, you've hit the
              jackpot!) Probably will only cost about $10. Try it during the day when
              you can check on it periodically, then you'll know how long you can
              leave it to itself.

              >so i take it none of the slow cookers or
              >crockpots have a feature where they shut off automatically
              >once all the liquid has been absorbed ??

              >i don't currently own one but was thinking
              >of buying one if i can use it to cook whole grains,
              >which i eat every day

              >thanks
              >________________________________

              =====
            • runner_dude
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 22, 2013
                great info

                thanks so much lance

                which leads to another question ...

                if all i want to do is cook whole grains,
                maybe i WOULD do better with a rice cooker ...??

                the last rice cooker i had though would boil over a bit
                but i assume it would cook the grains quicker than a
                slow cooker ...

                anyway, just some food for thought

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 23, 2013
                  I haven't done any other grains but white and brown rice in a rice
                  cooker, so can't comment from experience about anything else.
                  I doubt it would do tougher grains like oats/oatmeal very well tho. I'd
                  definitely get a crockpot for those.
                  A ricecooker probably would cook faster than a crockpot, but that's not
                  necessarily a good thing. ...and I wouldn't leave it on overnite like I
                  would a crockpot either.

                  I'd say experiment with the grains you use in the rice cooker you
                  already have. What doesn't work all that well, try a crockpot.
                  But I'd also say get a crockpot anyway. It's is good for so many other
                  things tho, it's cheap, doesn't take up much space and versatile. I
                  consider it my #1 appliance. Well, maybe after a microwave anyway.