Advice needed for new crockpot

  • PJ
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 5, 2013
      I'm sad to say my 20 + year old Rival Crockpot quit working today.  There has been a lot of discussion in the past about new crockpots cooking too fast and if I recall correctly, the Hamilton Beach 3 in 1 got good reviews on this list.

      I am considering the Hamilton Beach, but am wondering if anyone has cooked a whole chicken in it.  My old Rival was the tall, round style and a small chicken sat upright in it and cooked very well.

      Any other thoughts about a good replacement?

      Thanks in advance,
      PJ
    • Charlotte
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 5, 2013
        PJ, did your old one have a removable crock?   Is the heating part what bit the dust or the crock part?  If it was the crock part, and it's removable, you could try replacing it with a newer model crock in the old pot.

        Charlotte
        The 'earth' without 'art' is just 'eh' from my iPhone

        On Oct 5, 2013, at 3:29 PM, PJ wrote:

        Any other thoughts about a good replacement?
      • Lance M
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 5, 2013
          Or if it's real old school and not removeable, and the settings are
          off/low/hi, then the innards are as simple as is possible to get: a wire
          wound around the crock connected to the switch.
          Probably less than a dollar to fix if you find the right type of wire.
          (That's assuming the crock itself isn't cracked. Cracks hold bacteria
          even thru washing. That's when you throw one out.)

          Or $10 or so at a thrift store. Might even strike gold and get one with
          the all-glass lids.

          That being said, if you must, my mother has the 3-in-1, at least i think
          that's what it is. Works fine. She likes it. Just expensive.

          >PJ, did your old one have a removable crock? Is the heating part what bit the dust or the crock part? If it was the crock part, and it's removable, you could try replacing it with a newer model crock in the old pot.
          >
          >Charlotte
          >The 'earth' without 'art' is just 'eh' from my iPhone
          >
          >> On Oct 5, 2013, at 3:29 PM, PJ wrote:
          >>
          >> Any other thoughts about a good replacement?
          =====
        • Mike
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2013
            Hello pj.

            I have the three in one and love it.
            I have done a whole chicken many time and it always comes out perfect.
            Have had mine for some time now and use it almost every week.
            I hope this helps you.

            Your friend in food
            Mike

            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013
              Thank you Charlotte and Lance for your replies.

              It has the removable crock, plastic lid (which has a small crack, but works fine), and the off/low/hi settings.
              When I plugged it in yesterday, it immediately shorted out.  There was a loud noise, a couple of sparks, and  the breaker shut off to the outlet.  Before I toss it, I'll ask around and see if anyone can look at the cord.

              Thanks again!

              To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
              From: monarch@...
              Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 01:35:57 -0500
              Subject: Re: [slowcooker] Advice needed for new crockpot

              Or if it's real old school and not removeable, and the settings are
              off/low/hi, then the innards are as simple as is possible to get: a wire
              wound around the crock connected to the switch.
              Probably less than a dollar to fix if you find the right type of wire.
              (That's assuming the crock itself isn't cracked. Cracks hold bacteria
              even thru washing. That's when you throw one out.)

              Or $10 or so at a thrift store. Might even strike gold and get one with
              the all-glass lids.

              That being said, if you must, my mother has the 3-in-1, at least i think
              that's what it is. Works fine. She likes it. Just expensive.

              >PJ, did your old one have a removable crock? Is the heating part what bit the dust or the crock part? If it was the crock part, and it's removable, you could try replacing it with a newer model crock in the old pot.
              >
              >Charlotte
              >The 'earth' without 'art' is just 'eh' from my iPhone
              >
              >> On Oct 5, 2013, at 3:29 PM, PJ wrote:
              >>
              >> Any other thoughts about a good replacement?
              =====

            • asolemate
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 12, 2013
                Mike,
                What is the 3 in 1?  I am in search of a new crock pot having just purchased the Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook.
                I was thinking of the 3.5 qt. Cuisinart.  Anybody know anything about this one?

                Thanks!

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 30, 2013
                  The three in one is by Hamilton beach it has three different sized crocks that sit on the heater unit it coks very well and I truly love it I got mine at walmart I am sorry but I don't remember what I paid for it but I would buy another one if I had to. I hope this helps you

                  Your friend in food
                  Michael

                  Sent from my iPad

[...]

                • deb62862
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2013

                    Until recent weeks, I would have said that Cuisinart is great and couldn't say enough nice things about them.  I had a 7qt. Cuisinart slow cooker for years that I  loved, but someone else accidently broke the ceramic crock and they no longer make that model.  I readily ordered the 6 1/2 qt. instead and it wokred okay, but cooked much slower than my 7 qt. one had.

                    Then. less than a year after purchase, it stopped working.  It would heat for a while and then cut itself off.  As it has a 3 year warranty, I contacted Cuisinart by email with the model and serial number to ask about a repair or replacement.  It took them a week to answer my initial inquiry.  They asked me if I wanted it replaced and, if so, I'd be required to pay $10 for them to ship a new one to me plus whatever it cost for me to ship the broken one back to them.  I agreed and emailed them back to ask for instructions for the return.  I paid about $100 for it and I knew it wouldn't cost me $100 to ship it.

                    After waiting a few days for a response, I finally called them as I use my slow cookers regularly and was getting tired of it taking them so long to respond.  The person on the phone was a bit rude, but set up the exchange for me.  She had difficulty understanding the model and serial numbers I was giving her even though I was saying, for example, C - Cat, M - Man, etc.  That's why I emailed them originally; I thought it might go smoother with the information in print in front of them.  The deal was I had to wait until the new one arrived, take it out, put the broken one back in that box and ship it back to them.  It took a total of 2 1/2 weeks to receive the new cooker.  The best shipping rate I could find for the return was $28.00, so I'm out $38.00 in shipping charges.  I can see from the shipping tracking that the package has been delivered and have asked Cuisinart to confirm this, but they have yet to do so.  No surprise there.

                    I've already used the new one three times and it seems to cook slower as well.  If it breaks again, It certainly won't be worth my expense or trouble to return it and the warranty doesn't restart with the new one.  Its only in effect since my original purchase.

                    I've seen a Frigidaire slow cooker on the Costco website.  Anyone had any experience with it?  The thing about buying it from Costco is that I could take it back virtually anytime if it breaks.

                  • msclassylady717
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 31, 2013
                      since so many appliances are being made in china these days.. I just feel whatever we buy is  a "crap shoot" not sure how long it's gonna last ... I do belong to a few other groups and seems a number of members  in this one group all bought the Ninja 3 in 1 cooker from QVC they got the best  package deal going and they all love theirs ... you can go to the QVC web site and check it out .. .when my budget allows.. I'm thinking of getting one.. even thought I have more then enough crockpots at home ..

                      msclassylady717/cj in fla

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 3, 2013
                        I am going to buy one from Costco.  It is returnable if it fails and it has a good price.  Costco usually does have a good item.  I want it for a man friend who is raising two girls on his own.  This is perfect for him to make food and let it cook and when he gets home food is ready.  He is not into this crockpot thing but he is willing to begin and he thinks it would be great.  So I will buy it and send him recipes and get him rolling then he can read your recipes as they come along and pick what he likes.  I been talking to him about how this works well for us ladies.  So even if it is spagetti it will be easy for him.  He likes soups and pot roast sounds good.  So I think he will begin with chicken and if the kids will eat it he will.  That is the challenge.  Kids like it and it is ready he can enjoy more time with them and less cooking.

                        --
                        Sally
                        WWW. Silversally.com