Re: [slowcooker] RE: Help Wanted - chicken thighs, fall, soup

  • msclassylady717
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 30 4:43 PM

      This chicken recipe I made back in the mid 70s all the time.. it was a "go to" recipe always.. but we did it in the oven ... and the Russian dressing is really the Catalina Dressing

      msclassylady717/cj in fla

      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 5, 2013

        I made this last week.  It is very good!  Used freezer-safe 8 oz. jelly jars for storing in freezer.  Yummm!  :)

        Ginger

        ---In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I haven't made this yet, but am planning to try this recipe from Taste of Home.  It gets excelllent reviews.

         http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/All-Day-Apple-Butter

        ---In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Anybody made some good applebutter in the c-pot?
        Please pass the recipe!
        =====
      • KT
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 7, 2013
          What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not dairy)?

          Be well,
          Katie

          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 8, 2013
            When I make this recipe and I've been making it since the mid 70s... we always used the catalina (that's the neon orange colored one ... sort see thru color)
            msclassylady717/cj in fla

            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 8, 2013
              The red type... Not creamy 1000 island dressing.
              It is more of a French dressing usually has poppy seeds in in.  I substitute Red Catalina (French, not creamy most of the time).
              Jan in SoCal

              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 9, 2013
                I use the Wishbone Russian. You can also do this in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour. You can also substitute Italian dressing for the Russian, which is good.

                Sharyl

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 9, 2013
                  It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it) told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though, if I make it again, I might try that.
                  When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but in MHO, it is misnamed.

                  --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:

                  > What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not dairy)?
                  >
                  > Be well,
                  > Katie

                • KT
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 9, 2013
                    Thanks. I'm putting it in the pot right now. I can't believe how freaking hard is was to find Russian dressing in Las Vegas. I finally found one miniature bottle at Wal Mart that is the red oil see through kind. I'll let you know later how it turned out.

                    Be well,
                    Katie

                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 11, 2013
                      I used the wishbone red kind. All I could find. It was delicious. Served
                      with garlic chicken rice and spinach. Next time I find the dressing in a
                      store I will stock up.

                      Be Well,
                      Katie

                      > It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did
                      > not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it)
                      > told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like
                      > Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though,
                      > if I make it again, I might try that.
                      > When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the
                      > Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but
                      > in MHO, it is misnamed.
                      >
                      > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not
                      >> dairy)?
                      >>
                      >> Be well,
                      >> Katie

                    • Cristie Hayes

                        > It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did
                        > not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it)
                        > told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like
                        > Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though,
                        > if I make it again, I might try that.
                        > When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the
                        > Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but
                        > in MHO, it is misnamed.
                        >
                        > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not
                        >> dairy)?
                        >>
                        >> Be well,
                        >> Katie

                      • Walker Bennett
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 11, 2013
                          This might not be exactly what you're thinking of, but I've always gotten raves for my "Carcass Soup".

                          All bones from either a roasted chicken or turkey.  This is what's left after you've taken off all of the meat you want.

                          5 qt water

                          1 qt water from boiling the innards (include the gizzard and liver...possibly the neck)

                          1 bunch parsley, chopped

                          3 carrots, chopped

                          3 celery stalks, chopped

                          1 lb flat egg noodles (optional, reserve)

                          1 tbsp. sage

                          1 tbsp. poultry spice

                          Put all in a 6 qt or larger slow cooker.  Set on high for at least 12 hours.  24 hours is better.

                          Add noodles 1 hour before serving.

                          Believe it or not, this gets better with age.  After 72 hours, the bones will dissolve into the soup and be much better for you.  My mother absolutely loves this soup, as does my wife and my children.   It's very rich.  I don't skim any fat from it, but remove hard bones when serving.

                          This is what I have prepared for close to 20 years each thanksgiving.

                          On Friday, October 11, 2013 10:42 PM, KT <skateanddonate@...> wrote:

                          I used the wishbone red kind. All I could find. It was delicious. Served
                          with garlic chicken rice and spinach. Next time I find the dressing in a
                          store I will stock up.

                          Be Well,
                          Katie

                          > It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did
                          > not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it)
                          > told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like
                          > Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though,
                          > if I make it again, I might try that.
                          > When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the
                          > Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but
                          > in MHO, it is misnamed.
                          >
                          > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not
                          >> dairy)?
                          >>
                          >> Be well,
                          >> Katie

                        • KT
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 13, 2013
                            What I made was:

                            3 chicken quarters
                            8oz Wishbone Russian dressing (red clear liquid)
                            3/4 of a 18 oz jar of Apricot Preserves
                            1 envelope of dry onion soup mix

                            Mix the jelly, dressing and soup mix together and pour over chicken. Cook for 6 to 8 hours.

                            I'll find the original recipe and forward it (it is buried in one of my other email folders )

                            Be Well,
                            Katie

                            > It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did
                            > not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it)
                            > told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like
                            > Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though,
                            > if I make it again, I might try that.
                            > When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the
                            > Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but
                            > in MHO, it is misnamed.
                            >
                            > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not
                            >> dairy)?
                            >>
                            >> Be well,
                            >> Katie

                          • KT