Re: [slowcooker] Re: Help Wanted - chicken thighs, fall, soup

  • bellabunny818@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 29, 2013
      Sounds great!!

      -------Original Message-------

      From: DSOlin@...
      Date: 9/29/2013 9:12:13 PM
      To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [slowcooker] Re: Help Wanted - chicken thighs, fall, soup

      chicken thighs \or breasts)
      small bottle of Kraft Catalina dressing
      1 can whole berry cranberry sauce (or 1 1/2 c homemade cranberry sauce)
      1 package (Liptons) dry onion soup/dip mix

      mix last 3 ingredients, pour over chicken in the crock pot
      cook on low til chicken is done - 6 hours?
      serve with rice or mashed potatoes and your choice of veg

      In a message dated 9/29/2013 3:32:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      JSunrise1@... writes:
      Someone posted a thigh soup with cranberry sauce. Thought I saved but
      nowhere to be found
      jJoyce

      Sent from my iPad

    • jofrog2000
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 30, 2013

         This recipe is included in the slowcooker  cookbook here in the files. It's been a while since I made it, but remember it was good.

        Golfer's Chicken

        4 to 5 lbs chicken thighs (or breasts)
        1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
        1 bottle Russian dressing
        1 jar Apricot Jam

        Mix last 3 ingredients, pour over chicken. Cook in crockpot for 6-8 hrs
        on LOW or 4-5 hours on High. Seve over rice.

        I wondered, since it is so simple, but decided to give it a try. I also added a
        can of chickpeas, for some fiber. About 4 hours in, I decided it was all just
        too tan, so I added some mixed vegetables and celery.
        Put it over rice, and it was a hit! Just tangy enough. It's in my notebook for
        future use!
        Jo

        ---In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        May I enlist you in an experiment?
        I'd like you all to be my google, but tried'n'true.
        (if it catches on as a way to look for recipes, i'll be tickled!)
        So:
        I enter what I have on hand, and if you have a recipe that fits and
        that's TNT, speak out!

        Ingredients on hand: chicken thighs
        Tools: (crockpot naturally. well, this shouldn't be necessary. duh.)
        Result desired: soup or stew or any fall dish that is really tasty

        <enter>

        p.s. thanks!
        =====
      • msclassylady717
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 30, 2013

          This chicken recipe I made back in the mid 70s all the time.. it was a "go to" recipe always.. but we did it in the oven ... and the Russian dressing is really the Catalina Dressing

          msclassylady717/cj in fla

          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 5, 2013

            I made this last week.  It is very good!  Used freezer-safe 8 oz. jelly jars for storing in freezer.  Yummm!  :)

            Ginger

            ---In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            I haven't made this yet, but am planning to try this recipe from Taste of Home.  It gets excelllent reviews.

             http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/All-Day-Apple-Butter

            ---In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Anybody made some good applebutter in the c-pot?
            Please pass the recipe!
            =====
          • KT
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 7, 2013
              What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not dairy)?

              Be well,
              Katie

              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 8, 2013
                When I make this recipe and I've been making it since the mid 70s... we always used the catalina (that's the neon orange colored one ... sort see thru color)
                msclassylady717/cj in fla

                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 8, 2013
                  The red type... Not creamy 1000 island dressing.
                  It is more of a French dressing usually has poppy seeds in in.  I substitute Red Catalina (French, not creamy most of the time).
                  Jan in SoCal

                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 9, 2013
                    I use the Wishbone Russian. You can also do this in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour. You can also substitute Italian dressing for the Russian, which is good.

                    Sharyl

                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 9, 2013
                      It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it) told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though, if I make it again, I might try that.
                      When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but in MHO, it is misnamed.

                      --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:

                      > What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not dairy)?
                      >
                      > Be well,
                      > Katie

                    • KT
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 9, 2013
                        Thanks. I'm putting it in the pot right now. I can't believe how freaking hard is was to find Russian dressing in Las Vegas. I finally found one miniature bottle at Wal Mart that is the red oil see through kind. I'll let you know later how it turned out.

                        Be well,
                        Katie

                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 11, 2013
                          I used the wishbone red kind. All I could find. It was delicious. Served
                          with garlic chicken rice and spinach. Next time I find the dressing in a
                          store I will stock up.

                          Be Well,
                          Katie

                          > It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did
                          > not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it)
                          > told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like
                          > Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though,
                          > if I make it again, I might try that.
                          > When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the
                          > Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but
                          > in MHO, it is misnamed.
                          >
                          > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not
                          >> dairy)?
                          >>
                          >> Be well,
                          >> Katie

                        • Cristie Hayes

                            > It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did
                            > not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it)
                            > told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like
                            > Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though,
                            > if I make it again, I might try that.
                            > When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the
                            > Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but
                            > in MHO, it is misnamed.
                            >
                            > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not
                            >> dairy)?
                            >>
                            >> Be well,
                            >> Katie

                          • Walker Bennett
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 11, 2013
                              This might not be exactly what you're thinking of, but I've always gotten raves for my "Carcass Soup".

                              All bones from either a roasted chicken or turkey.  This is what's left after you've taken off all of the meat you want.

                              5 qt water

                              1 qt water from boiling the innards (include the gizzard and liver...possibly the neck)

                              1 bunch parsley, chopped

                              3 carrots, chopped

                              3 celery stalks, chopped

                              1 lb flat egg noodles (optional, reserve)

                              1 tbsp. sage

                              1 tbsp. poultry spice

                              Put all in a 6 qt or larger slow cooker.  Set on high for at least 12 hours.  24 hours is better.

                              Add noodles 1 hour before serving.

                              Believe it or not, this gets better with age.  After 72 hours, the bones will dissolve into the soup and be much better for you.  My mother absolutely loves this soup, as does my wife and my children.   It's very rich.  I don't skim any fat from it, but remove hard bones when serving.

                              This is what I have prepared for close to 20 years each thanksgiving.

                              On Friday, October 11, 2013 10:42 PM, KT <skateanddonate@...> wrote:

                              I used the wishbone red kind. All I could find. It was delicious. Served
                              with garlic chicken rice and spinach. Next time I find the dressing in a
                              store I will stock up.

                              Be Well,
                              Katie

                              > It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did
                              > not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it)
                              > told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like
                              > Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though,
                              > if I make it again, I might try that.
                              > When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the
                              > Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but
                              > in MHO, it is misnamed.
                              >
                              > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not
                              >> dairy)?
                              >>
                              >> Be well,
                              >> Katie

                            • KT
                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 13, 2013
                                What I made was:

                                3 chicken quarters
                                8oz Wishbone Russian dressing (red clear liquid)
                                3/4 of a 18 oz jar of Apricot Preserves
                                1 envelope of dry onion soup mix

                                Mix the jelly, dressing and soup mix together and pour over chicken. Cook for 6 to 8 hours.

                                I'll find the original recipe and forward it (it is buried in one of my other email folders )

                                Be Well,
                                Katie

                                > It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did
                                > not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it)
                                > told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like
                                > Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though,
                                > if I make it again, I might try that.
                                > When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the
                                > Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but
                                > in MHO, it is misnamed.
                                >
                                > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:
                                >>
                                >> What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not
                                >> dairy)?
                                >>
                                >> Be well,
                                >> Katie

                              • KT