Re: [slowcooker] Help Wanted - chicken thighs, fall, soup

  • Lance M
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 26, 2013
      This was very good!
      We didn't have catalina dressing, just italian, and only a quarter of a
      medium bottle but it still worked. I had thot the cranberry sauce would
      overpower everything, but it was very mellow.
      But definitely worth doing again. Two thumbs up!

      notes: the sauce was watery when time came, so next time I'll take the
      top off and run on high for half hour or hour.
      and the chicken could be a bit dry, mainly in the middle of the breast,
      so probably will brine it next time.

      >my favourite go-to recipe is:
      >
      >chicken thighs \or breasts)
      >small bottle of Kraft Catalina dressing
      >1 can whole berry cranberry sauce (or 1 1/2 c homemade cranberry sauce)
      >1 package (Liptons) dry onion soup/dip mix
      =====
    • Lance M
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 28, 2013
        Anybody made some good applebutter in the c-pot?
        Please pass the recipe!
        =====
      • deb62862
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 29, 2013

          I haven't made this yet, but am planning to try this recipe from Taste of Home.  It gets excelllent reviews.

           http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/All-Day-Apple-Butter

          ---In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Anybody made some good applebutter in the c-pot?
          Please pass the recipe!
          =====
        • Joyce
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 29, 2013
            Someone posted a thigh soup with cranberry sauce. Thought I saved but nowhere to be found
            jJoyce

            Sent from my iPad
          • dsolin14150
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 29, 2013
              chicken thighs \or breasts)
              small bottle of Kraft Catalina dressing
              1 can whole berry cranberry sauce (or 1 1/2 c homemade cranberry sauce)
              1 package (Liptons) dry onion soup/dip mix

              mix last 3 ingredients, pour over chicken in the crock pot
              cook on low til chicken is done - 6 hours?
              serve with rice or mashed potatoes and your choice of veg

              In a message dated 9/29/2013 3:32:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, JSunrise1@... writes:
              Someone posted a thigh soup with cranberry sauce.  Thought I saved but nowhere to be found
              jJoyce

              Sent from my iPad

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  slowcooker-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  slowcooker-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Charlotte
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 29, 2013
                Joyce,
                You can search the group archives.  It's in there.   I've been neo-tized by yahell, so can't search very well.

                Charlotte
                The 'earth' without 'art' is just 'eh' from my iPhone

              • bellabunny818@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 29, 2013
                  Sounds great!!

                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 30, 2013

                     This recipe is included in the slowcooker  cookbook here in the files. It's been a while since I made it, but remember it was good.

                    Golfer's Chicken

                    4 to 5 lbs chicken thighs (or breasts)
                    1 packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
                    1 bottle Russian dressing
                    1 jar Apricot Jam

                    Mix last 3 ingredients, pour over chicken. Cook in crockpot for 6-8 hrs
                    on LOW or 4-5 hours on High. Seve over rice.

                    I wondered, since it is so simple, but decided to give it a try. I also added a
                    can of chickpeas, for some fiber. About 4 hours in, I decided it was all just
                    too tan, so I added some mixed vegetables and celery.
                    Put it over rice, and it was a hit! Just tangy enough. It's in my notebook for
                    future use!
                    Jo

                    ---In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                    May I enlist you in an experiment?
                    I'd like you all to be my google, but tried'n'true.
                    (if it catches on as a way to look for recipes, i'll be tickled!)
                    So:
                    I enter what I have on hand, and if you have a recipe that fits and
                    that's TNT, speak out!

                    Ingredients on hand: chicken thighs
                    Tools: (crockpot naturally. well, this shouldn't be necessary. duh.)
                    Result desired: soup or stew or any fall dish that is really tasty

                    <enter>

                    p.s. thanks!
                    =====
                  • msclassylady717
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 30, 2013

                      This chicken recipe I made back in the mid 70s all the time.. it was a "go to" recipe always.. but we did it in the oven ... and the Russian dressing is really the Catalina Dressing

                      msclassylady717/cj in fla

                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 7, 2013
                          What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not dairy)?

                          Be well,
                          Katie

                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 8, 2013
                            When I make this recipe and I've been making it since the mid 70s... we always used the catalina (that's the neon orange colored one ... sort see thru color)
                            msclassylady717/cj in fla

                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 8, 2013
                              The red type... Not creamy 1000 island dressing.
                              It is more of a French dressing usually has poppy seeds in in.  I substitute Red Catalina (French, not creamy most of the time).
                              Jan in SoCal

                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 9, 2013
                                I use the Wishbone Russian. You can also do this in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour. You can also substitute Italian dressing for the Russian, which is good.

                                Sharyl

                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 9, 2013
                                  It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it) told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though, if I make it again, I might try that.
                                  When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but in MHO, it is misnamed.

                                  --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:

                                  > What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not dairy)?
                                  >
                                  > Be well,
                                  > Katie

                                • KT
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 9, 2013
                                    Thanks. I'm putting it in the pot right now. I can't believe how freaking hard is was to find Russian dressing in Las Vegas. I finally found one miniature bottle at Wal Mart that is the red oil see through kind. I'll let you know later how it turned out.

                                    Be well,
                                    Katie

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Oct 11, 2013
                                      I used the wishbone red kind. All I could find. It was delicious. Served
                                      with garlic chicken rice and spinach. Next time I find the dressing in a
                                      store I will stock up.

                                      Be Well,
                                      Katie

                                      > It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did
                                      > not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it)
                                      > told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like
                                      > Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though,
                                      > if I make it again, I might try that.
                                      > When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the
                                      > Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but
                                      > in MHO, it is misnamed.
                                      >
                                      > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not
                                      >> dairy)?
                                      >>
                                      >> Be well,
                                      >> Katie

                                    • Cristie Hayes

                                        > It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did
                                        > not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it)
                                        > told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like
                                        > Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though,
                                        > if I make it again, I might try that.
                                        > When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the
                                        > Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but
                                        > in MHO, it is misnamed.
                                        >
                                        > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >> What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not
                                        >> dairy)?
                                        >>
                                        >> Be well,
                                        >> Katie

                                      • Walker Bennett
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 11, 2013
                                          This might not be exactly what you're thinking of, but I've always gotten raves for my "Carcass Soup".

                                          All bones from either a roasted chicken or turkey.  This is what's left after you've taken off all of the meat you want.

                                          5 qt water

                                          1 qt water from boiling the innards (include the gizzard and liver...possibly the neck)

                                          1 bunch parsley, chopped

                                          3 carrots, chopped

                                          3 celery stalks, chopped

                                          1 lb flat egg noodles (optional, reserve)

                                          1 tbsp. sage

                                          1 tbsp. poultry spice

                                          Put all in a 6 qt or larger slow cooker.  Set on high for at least 12 hours.  24 hours is better.

                                          Add noodles 1 hour before serving.

                                          Believe it or not, this gets better with age.  After 72 hours, the bones will dissolve into the soup and be much better for you.  My mother absolutely loves this soup, as does my wife and my children.   It's very rich.  I don't skim any fat from it, but remove hard bones when serving.

                                          This is what I have prepared for close to 20 years each thanksgiving.

                                          On Friday, October 11, 2013 10:42 PM, KT <skateanddonate@...> wrote:

                                          I used the wishbone red kind. All I could find. It was delicious. Served
                                          with garlic chicken rice and spinach. Next time I find the dressing in a
                                          store I will stock up.

                                          Be Well,
                                          Katie

                                          > It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did
                                          > not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it)
                                          > told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like
                                          > Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though,
                                          > if I make it again, I might try that.
                                          > When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the
                                          > Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but
                                          > in MHO, it is misnamed.
                                          >
                                          > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >> What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not
                                          >> dairy)?
                                          >>
                                          >> Be well,
                                          >> Katie

                                        • KT
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Oct 13, 2013
                                            What I made was:

                                            3 chicken quarters
                                            8oz Wishbone Russian dressing (red clear liquid)
                                            3/4 of a 18 oz jar of Apricot Preserves
                                            1 envelope of dry onion soup mix

                                            Mix the jelly, dressing and soup mix together and pour over chicken. Cook for 6 to 8 hours.

                                            I'll find the original recipe and forward it (it is buried in one of my other email folders )

                                            Be Well,
                                            Katie

                                            > It called for-and I used-the russian I grew up with-the creamy kind. I did
                                            > not know a red one existed until someone (back then when I first made it)
                                            > told me I was wrong about what it was made of. Red dressings-like
                                            > Catalina, which has always been my most loved choice-is French. though,
                                            > if I make it again, I might try that.
                                            > When I looked in the store last week, the only Russian I found was the
                                            > Wishbone red one. Obviously they decided to make their own dressing, but
                                            > in MHO, it is misnamed.
                                            >
                                            > --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "KT" <skateanddonate@...> wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >> What kind of Russian Dressing? The creamy kind or the kosher kind (not
                                            >> dairy)?
                                            >>
                                            >> Be well,
                                            >> Katie

                                          • KT