Re: [slowcooker] Brisket

  • Harry n Texas
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7 6:16 AM
      Hi Lynn,
      My experience tells me that when the c/p is that full it takes much longer to cook through I had that problem while cooking a large rib roast.
       Good luck!

           Texas and USA Crossed Flag Pin
        Harry n Texas

      I just put a 3 1/2 pound brisket in my crockpot. The crockpot is 4 quarts crockpot. I put baby carrots potatoes and onions underneath the brisket. I put onions soup mix on the brisket and on the potatoes carrots and onions. I put a little beef broth over the potatoes carrots and onions, and a little bit on the brisket. The issue I have is, it comes almost to the top of my crockpot. I can get the lid on, but I'm worried. Please tell me they should be okay. I plan to let it cook for 8 to 9 hours on low.
    • Malcolm
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7 8:06 AM
        On 9/6/2013 9:49 AM, Lynn Coats wrote:

        I just put a 3 1/2 pound brisket in my crockpot. The crockpot is 4 quarts crockpot. I put baby carrots potatoes and onions underneath the brisket. I put onions soup mix on the brisket and on the potatoes carrots and onions. I put a little beef broth over the potatoes carrots and onions, and a little bit on the brisket. The issue I have is, it comes almost to the top of my crockpot. I can get the lid on, but I'm worried. Please tell me they should be okay. I plan to let it cook for 8 to 9 hours on low.

        Sounds delicious!

      • WAC
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7 8:30 AM
          It should be fine.  You don't have enough liquid to worry about it bubbling over. That would be my only concern.  When I cook a roast, I get as many vegetables in as I can.  We like them even better than the roast.  You want your crockpot at least 3/4ths full.

          From: Lynn Coats <idigjazz@...>

          I just put a 3 1/2 pound brisket in my crockpot. The crockpot is 4 quarts crockpot. I put baby carrots potatoes and onions underneath the brisket. I put onions soup mix on the brisket and on the potatoes carrots and onions. I put a little beef broth over the potatoes carrots and onions, and a little bit on the brisket. The issue I have is, it comes almost to the top of my crockpot. I can get the lid on, but I'm worried. Please tell me they should be okay. I plan to let it cook for 8 to 9 hours on low.

        • Herbie Raskin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 7 9:00 AM
            I would be a little concerned - the veggies will release some water at first. i would but a serving tray or roasting pan under the slowcooker just to be safe.

            good luck!
            Herb