Crockpot Chicken "Cordon Bleu" Casserole - TNT

  • Ernie Shumaker
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
      A very easy meal with fantastic flavor! I was amazed at how tasty this
      was. Using boxed stuffing and canned soups along with crockpot cooking
      makes this a simple process with only minimal "cooking effort" and
      kitchen time needed. Most of your work will be microwaving the mushroom
      sauce, prepping the instant stuffing mix, and assembling it all in the
      slowcooker.

      The key to the best flavor is use of a good quality ham. Splurge a bit
      on some 'Black Forest' or dry-cured ham from your deli if you can get
      it. Sliced prosciutto, or some 'spiral sliced bits & pieces' (often
      available at Walmart food aisles) are also great for this. Even a good
      deli "honey smoked" will do. Use one (or more) of those an you'll turn
      an already good dish into something really spectacular.

      You can also 'kick this up' with creative substitutions on the cheese.
      Add some creamy Havarti for richness, and Gruyere or Jarlsberg for
      nutty/buttery Swiss flavor, for example. You can also use grated instead
      of sliced cheese if you desire. As always, quality ingredients make
      noticeable differences, even for a simple dish like this.

      *Crockpot Chicken "Cordon Bleu" Casserole*

      *Ingredients:*
      2 Large boneless skinless Chicken Breasts (or more if smaller)
      1 Can (14oz) Cream of Mushroom soup
      1 Can (4oz) "stems & pieces" mushrooms (with liquid)
      1/2 C Milk
      1/2 C Chicken broth/stock
      1Tbs Dijon Mustard
      8 thin slices (approx.) good deli ham (Black Forest, Honey smoked,
      "country" dry-cured ham, prosciutto)
      6-8 slices (approx.) Swiss cheese (Gruyere, Jarlsberg, etc.)

      *Spices:*
      1 tsp Onion Powder (or 1 Tbs Minced dried onion)
      1/2 tsp Granulated Garlic (or Garlic Powder)
      1/2 tsp Paprika (or Smoked Paprika) (optional)
      1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
      1/4 tsp Salt (to taste)
      1/4 tsp Thyme (optional)
      1/4 tsp Ground Savory (optional)
      1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)

      *For Stuffing*
      1 Box "Stovetop" Chicken flavored stuffing mix
      1 Can (4oz) "Stems and Pieces" mushrooms w/liquid
      1 C Chicken Broth or stock
      4 T Butter

      _Make Stuffing:_ In a medium saucepan; bring Chicken Broth, butter, 1
      can mushrooms and liquid to boil. Add contents of Chicken-flavored
      stuffing pouch. Stir briefly to combine ingredients. Cover, and remove
      from heat.

      _Make Sauce:_ In a microwave-safe medium bowl, combine mushroom soup,
      chicken broth, milk, and Dijon mustard. Heat for ~90 seconds. (Heating
      makes combining easier.) Stir together until evenly mixed. If necessary,
      heat another 30 seconds.

      _Prepare Chicken:_ Slice into 1 inch cubes. (Slices easier if just a
      bit frozen.)

      _Assemble in Crockpot:_ Add chicken to pot. Sprinkle with spices (stir
      to coat all sides if desired, but not really needed as crock cooking
      will meld flavors). Pour in sauce. Layer on ham bits/slices. Layer on
      _half_ of cheese slices. Add prepared stuffing mix on top layer.

      _Cook_ at Low setting for 4 hours (Don't over-cook; cubed
      boneless/skinless chicken breast cooks quickly and can dry out). Uncover
      and cook on high for about 20 minutes to thicken slightly. Layer
      remaining cheese slices on top of stuffing and replace cover. Continue
      cooking on high until cheese begins to melt (about 10-20 minutes).

      Makes 4-6 servings

    • crftysahm
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2013

        Personally, I have not had any luck at all getting fish or seafood to cook well in a crock pot.  That being said, I have had some excellent fish based stew or soups from the CP.

        --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, <slowcooker@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I'm looking for some good fish or seafood recipes.
        I need to add fish to my diet and the cp is one of the best ways.
        Anyone have any TNT fish recipes?