Recipe alert ;-))

  • oldwing
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25, 2013
      6 boneless porkchops
      1pkt ranch dressing mix (powder) sprinkled over chops
      1 can cream of soup (I used mushroom because that's what was in the cupboard.
       Cook low all day.
      Thanks Ginger...I do think I gogt it from you after all!
      Jan in SoCal

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
        I'm looking for some good fish or seafood recipes.
        I need to add fish to my diet and the cp is one of the best ways.
        Anyone have any TNT fish recipes?
        =====
      • Hilly van Zuylekom
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2013
          Lance M monarch@..., said:

          >I'm looking for some good fish or seafood recipes.
          >I need to add fish to my diet and the cp is one of the best ways.

          Personally I would never put fish in a slowcooker, frying or grilling fish
          only takes a few minutes, steaming or poaching doesn't take long either.
          I sometimes wrap fish in alu foil with some herbs (parsley, dill), a dot of
          butter or a drizzle of oil, a few tablespoons of dry white wine and a
          sprinkle of salt and pepper and put the packet on the barbecue and it is
          done before you know it.

          I have a recipe for salt/sugar cured salmon (absolutely deliciouis and very
          healthy) but as it is not a slowcooker recipe I cannot publish it here.
          Anyone interested email me privately.

          Someone once gave me this website, I haven't tried any of the recipes but
          perhaps there is something you like::
          Crockpot Fish Recipes and Crockpot Seafood
          Recipes<http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotrecipes/a/Crock-Pot-Fish-And-Seafood-Recipes.htm>
          <https://www.google.com/search?q=slowcooker+fish+recipes&client=gmail&rls=gm&tbs=ppl_ids:--110856136757199710112-,ppl_nps:Diana+Rattray,ppl_aut:1>
          Recipes<http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotrecipes/>

          <https://www.google.com/search?client=gmail&rls=gm&q=slowcooker%20fish%20recipes#>

          -
          <http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2PjkH_WFFccJ:southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotrecipes/a/Crock-Pot-Fish-And-Seafood-Recipes.htm+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=gmail>
          -
          <https://www.google.com/search?client=gmail&rls=gm&q=related:southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotrecipes/a/Crock-Pot-Fish-And-Seafood-Recipes.htm+slowcooker+fish+recipes&tbo=1&sa=X&ei=jHUbUpOjKYqDlQXO0ICQAg&ved=0CEQQHzAA>

          by Diana Rattray<https://www.google.com/search?q=slowcooker+fish+recipes&client=gmail&rls=gm&tbs=ppl_ids:--110856136757199710112-,ppl_nps:Diana+Rattray,ppl_aut:1>
          -
          Fish and seafood recipes for the crockpot, from shrimp Creole to Tuna
          Casseroles. Fish requires short cooking times, but many recipes can be made
          in the slowcooker

          Good luck,

          --
          Hilly
          dutchoz2@...

          "Don't make old ladies mad. They don't like being old in the first place,
          so it doesn't take much to set them off"

        • Charlotte
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
            Someone earlier posted a bunch of recipe links. Look in the archives for the post.
            I second what they said, in that fish is not a good CP meat. It just cooks too fast. Off topic, just broil it, to add meat to your diet. It's ready in 15 mins or less, depending upon the thickness.

            Charlotte
            The 'earth' without 'art' is just 'eh'
            from my iPhone

            On Aug 26, 2013, at 4:30 AM, Lance M wrote:

            > I'm looking for some good fish or seafood recipes.
            > I need to add fish to my diet and the cp is one of the best ways.
            > Anyone have any TNT fish recipes?
          • Ernie Shumaker
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
              A very easy meal with fantastic flavor! I was amazed at how tasty this
              was. Using boxed stuffing and canned soups along with crockpot cooking
              makes this a simple process with only minimal "cooking effort" and
              kitchen time needed. Most of your work will be microwaving the mushroom
              sauce, prepping the instant stuffing mix, and assembling it all in the
              slowcooker.

              The key to the best flavor is use of a good quality ham. Splurge a bit
              on some 'Black Forest' or dry-cured ham from your deli if you can get
              it. Sliced prosciutto, or some 'spiral sliced bits & pieces' (often
              available at Walmart food aisles) are also great for this. Even a good
              deli "honey smoked" will do. Use one (or more) of those an you'll turn
              an already good dish into something really spectacular.

              You can also 'kick this up' with creative substitutions on the cheese.
              Add some creamy Havarti for richness, and Gruyere or Jarlsberg for
              nutty/buttery Swiss flavor, for example. You can also use grated instead
              of sliced cheese if you desire. As always, quality ingredients make
              noticeable differences, even for a simple dish like this.

              *Crockpot Chicken "Cordon Bleu" Casserole*

              *Ingredients:*
              2 Large boneless skinless Chicken Breasts (or more if smaller)
              1 Can (14oz) Cream of Mushroom soup
              1 Can (4oz) "stems & pieces" mushrooms (with liquid)
              1/2 C Milk
              1/2 C Chicken broth/stock
              1Tbs Dijon Mustard
              8 thin slices (approx.) good deli ham (Black Forest, Honey smoked,
              "country" dry-cured ham, prosciutto)
              6-8 slices (approx.) Swiss cheese (Gruyere, Jarlsberg, etc.)

              *Spices:*
              1 tsp Onion Powder (or 1 Tbs Minced dried onion)
              1/2 tsp Granulated Garlic (or Garlic Powder)
              1/2 tsp Paprika (or Smoked Paprika) (optional)
              1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
              1/4 tsp Salt (to taste)
              1/4 tsp Thyme (optional)
              1/4 tsp Ground Savory (optional)
              1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)

              *For Stuffing*
              1 Box "Stovetop" Chicken flavored stuffing mix
              1 Can (4oz) "Stems and Pieces" mushrooms w/liquid
              1 C Chicken Broth or stock
              4 T Butter

              _Make Stuffing:_ In a medium saucepan; bring Chicken Broth, butter, 1
              can mushrooms and liquid to boil. Add contents of Chicken-flavored
              stuffing pouch. Stir briefly to combine ingredients. Cover, and remove
              from heat.

              _Make Sauce:_ In a microwave-safe medium bowl, combine mushroom soup,
              chicken broth, milk, and Dijon mustard. Heat for ~90 seconds. (Heating
              makes combining easier.) Stir together until evenly mixed. If necessary,
              heat another 30 seconds.

              _Prepare Chicken:_ Slice into 1 inch cubes. (Slices easier if just a
              bit frozen.)

              _Assemble in Crockpot:_ Add chicken to pot. Sprinkle with spices (stir
              to coat all sides if desired, but not really needed as crock cooking
              will meld flavors). Pour in sauce. Layer on ham bits/slices. Layer on
              _half_ of cheese slices. Add prepared stuffing mix on top layer.

              _Cook_ at Low setting for 4 hours (Don't over-cook; cubed
              boneless/skinless chicken breast cooks quickly and can dry out). Uncover
              and cook on high for about 20 minutes to thicken slightly. Layer
              remaining cheese slices on top of stuffing and replace cover. Continue
              cooking on high until cheese begins to melt (about 10-20 minutes).

              Makes 4-6 servings

            • crftysahm
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 21, 2013

                Personally, I have not had any luck at all getting fish or seafood to cook well in a crock pot.  That being said, I have had some excellent fish based stew or soups from the CP.