Re: recipes using canned pork

  • WB8WMU
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2013
      That Gentleman is referring to the Gov't surplus Canned Pork, not spam.

      --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, WAC <misty1451tory@...> wrote:

      > I assume the canned pork is a generic Spam.  For all the ribbing Spam takes, it's actually a pretty good product.  Sliced and fried, the taste is similar to ham.  I haven't used Spam in years because of the fat content and because we don't eat that much meat.
      >

      > Here's a recipe that works well with either ham or canned pork.  If using the canned pork, cube it and fry it long enough to render a  lot of the fat.  Remove it from the skillet and blot it before adding it to the slow cooker.
      >
      > Hawaiian Pork
      >
      > 1 cup cubed ham or 1 can Spam, cubed
      > 1/2 small onion, sliced
      > 1/2 small green pepper, sliced
      > 1/2 C. pineapple chunks, drained
      > 1/4 C. brown sugar, packed
      > 1/2 cup pineapple juice
      > 2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
      > 1 1/2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
      > 1 tablespoon cornstarch
      >
      > Combine brown sugar, pineapple juice, cider vinegar, and corn starch in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Continue boiling and stirring until thickened, approximately 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in soy sauce.
      >
      > Place ham, onion, pepper, and pineapple in a small slow cooker.  Pour sauce over and stir to combine.  Cook on medium heat 2-3 hours until heated through and bubbling.
      >
      > Serve over rice.
      >
      > May also be prepared in the oven by placing ingredients in a covered oven-proof casserole dish and baking for 30 minutes at 350 degrees until heated through and bubbling.
      >

      > >________________________________
      > > From: Edward Evans <edwevans@...>
      > >
      > > I am a senior citizen and I receive a supplemental food box from the local
      > >
      > >food bank with canned pork and I would like to obtain some recipes I can use
      > >with the canned pork.

    • WAC
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13, 2013
        I realize he wasn't referring to Spam.  I assumed it was a generic type of Spam.  Before I retired, many of my clients received food boxes that included canned pork that was much like Spam.  I helped some of them adapt pork recipes they already used to the canned pork.  My point was that if it was a generic type of Spam, it could be used in the same way.  Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

        >________________________________
        > From: WB8WMU <w3fra@...>
        >

        >That Gentleman is referring to the Gov't surplus Canned Pork, not spam.
        >
        >--- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, WAC <misty1451tory@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> I assume the canned pork is a generic Spam.  For all the ribbing Spam takes, it's actually a pretty good product.  Sliced and fried, the taste is similar to ham.

      • Lance M
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
          I just found out the Nesco roasters have their heating elements on the
          sides, which removes my main objection to them. I had thot they only
          heated from the bottom. I like the manual temp control which solves the
          problem of the newer crockpots cooking too hot. Sale prices aren't that
          bad either. But I can't tell if the standard insert (the 'cookwell' they
          call it) is metal or not. One model is nonstick, which I don't think
          would apply to a normal crockpot-type ceramic insert, but the
          replacement cookwell does mention a 'traditional porcelain cookwell'.

          Does anyone here use Nesco roasters as slow cookers?
          =====
        • msclassylady717
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17, 2013
            A few times I've used my 18qt when making sauce........... I'd flash brown my meats on the grill ( love the flavors)... beef, country style ribs and Italian sausage and then add all my other ingredients .... and let it slow cook all day long......yummmmm

            msclassylady717/cj in fla

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 18, 2013
              I had a small Nesco (it held one 3-4 pound chicken), and I used it all the
              time as a crockpot. It had a nonstick insert that was metal, not aluminum but
              I don't know what metal it is. The insert sat in a porcelain lined cookwell,
              that you could not use without the insert. It lasted me about 15 years. I
              loved its versatility.