Crock Pot Hungarian Goulash

  • tiggerblu@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 22, 2013
      Made this today for dinner tonight and I love the way it turned out.
      Instead of using standard paprika, I
      Found sweet Hungarian paprika. It isnt really sweet, but it gives it a
      different taste than the standard.

      Crock Pot Hungarian Goulash

      2 1/2 pounds of beef round steak, cut in 1/2-inch cubes (veal can be used
      as well)
      1/4 cup of vegetable oil
      1 large onion, chopped
      3 cloves of garlic, minced
      1/4 cup of flour
      2 tablespoons paprika
      1/2 teaspoon powdered thyme
      1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
      1 teaspoon of pepper
      3 bay leaves
      1 28oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
      16 oz sour cream
      Noodles (egg, no yolk, wide, whatever anyone likes)

      Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Season the meat with salt and pepper and
      brown it in the oil. After the meat is almost brown
      Add the onion and garlic. Cook until onion and garlic are tender.

      In a small bowl mix together the flour, paprika, and thyme. Slowly add to
      the meat until it is incorporated into the mixture. Transfer
      To your Crock Pot.

      In a mixing bowl dump in the tomatoes. With a potato masher or fork break up
      the tomatoes. Pour all of this into the Crock Pot, add the bay leaves, and
      stir.

      Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4. Before serving stir in sour cream and ladle over noodles.

    • PatnPaws
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2013
        I LOVE goulash, and will definitely have to try this! Also, I often use
        smoked paprika (I think sometimes it's called Spanish smoked paprika) ----
        it gives a different taste from sweet paprika, but still very good.:)
        --Pat_n_Paws

      • Lynn Coats
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
          Hi,
          Could someone send me this recipe Please? I really want to try it. Thank you so much.
        • Lance M
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
            >Could someone send me this recipe Please? I really want to try it. Thank you so much.

            Please post to the group!
            =====
          • tiggerblu@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2013
              Here is another recipe that I have also tried that is good. I think the
              first one I sent
              Through was better, but my husband thinks that this one is.

              Crockpot Hungarian Goulash Stew

              Ingredients
              2 pounds pork shoulder, cubed
              2 pounds red potatoes, cubed
              1/2 cup baby carrots
              1 large onion
              1 teaspoon sugar
              1 tablespoon white vinegar
              4 garlic cloves
              2 tablespoons tomato paste
              1 can (28-ounce) tomato sauce
              14 ounces water
              1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
              2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
              1 teaspoon chili flakes
              Salt and pepper to taste

              Instructions
              In food processor crush onion and garlic and place as a first layer inside
              the slow cooker.
              Then crush carrots in food processor and layer them on top. Arrange the
              potatoes on top of the carrots
              and then as the last layer put the meat on top. Add the tomato sauce,
              tomato paste, water, thyme, paprika,
              Chili powder, vinegar, sugar salt, and pepper all mixed together. Set the
              slow cooker for 5 hours on high setting.
              Or 8 hours on low
              Take out and serve!