Re: Slow Cooker Perigord Fig and Onion Jam

  • recetta
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 12, 2013
      I'm so glad you liked it, Auntie J. For a relative modest expenditure (the price fo figs)it makes a very luxurious condiment. I'm going to try replacing the figs with prunes and see how that comes out.
      Chupa

      --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, Auntie J <auntiej500@...> wrote:

      > Totally understandable how this savory jam could be a go-to spread for
      > elegant dining, casual meals or as an appetizer. It definitely is
      > fabulous.
      >
      > Figs were on sale this week so I made a half-batch to see what we
      > thought. Two thumbs from both of us. I slathered some over salmon for
      > dinner tonight. Amazing.
      >
      > Needless to say, figs and onions are back on the shopping list.
      >
      > Thank you for sharing this recipe!
      >
      > On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Chupa Babi <recetta@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > This has become my go-to spread. I dip crudite in it, I use it as a
      > > sandwich spread, I mix it with my steel-cut oatmeal. It is fabulous.
      > >
      > > * Exported from MasterCook *
      > > Slow Cooker Perigord Fig and Onion Jam
      > > Recipe By :
      > > Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
      > > Categories : Condiment LowCal (Less than 300 cals)
      > > LowerCarbs LowFat (Less than 30%)
      > > Vegan
      > > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
      > > -------- ------------ --------------------------------
      > > 1/2 cup unsalted butter
      > > 6 large sweet onions -- such as Vidalia, coarsely chopped
      > > 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
      > > 1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
      > > 24 dried figs -- coarsely chopped
      > >

      > > Divide the butter between two large skillets and melt it over medium-high
      > > heat. Add half the onions to each skillet and saute for 3 to 4 minutes to
      > > soften them. (Or saute the onions in one pan in batches.) Transfer the
      > > onions to the insert of a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker; stir in the brown
      > > sugar, vinegar, and figs, and toss to coat. Cover the slow cooker and cook
      > > on High for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours. The onions and figs should be
      > > softened, and the sauce should be thickened.
      > > Cool the mixture to room temperature; the sauce will thicken as it cools.
      > > Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 months.
      > >
      > > Makes about 6 cups; 24 one-quarter cup servings
      > >
      > > AuthorNote: I can't count the number of times I have shared this recipe
      > > with friends; it is the quintessential melding of sweet, tart, and savory.
      > > Although it is customarily made with prunes in the Dordogne area of
      > > France, I find that Americans prefer to use dried figs or a combination of
      > > figs and prunes. This jam is traditionally served with seared fois gras,
      > > but I love to use it with creamy goat cheese or other cheeses on toasted
      > > slices of baguette. The jam is also delicious to add to the slow cooker
      > > when cooking [pFavorite]. The savory juices are great served over buttered
      > > noodles.
      > >
      > > Cuisine:
      > > "French"
      > > Source:
      > > "Mediterranean Slow Cooker Cookbook by Diane Phillips, 2012"
      > > S(Formatted by Chupa Babi):
      > > "Feb 2013"
      > > Yield:
      > > "6 cups"

    • Dawn
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 13, 2013
        How would fresh figs work? I have a fig tree and am looking forward to a good harvest this summer.
        Dawn in SW GA

      • Auntie J
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 14, 2013
          Dawn

          Fresh fruit has more moisture than dried and drying changes the flavor.
          You might want to try the recipe as written and then adjust the liquids in
          the next batch to accommodate the fresh fruit.

          You can always dry the figs yourself and proceed with the recipe that
          way.