Re: Pinto Beans And Ham Hocks

  • braindead_blonde_bimbo
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
      I've always wanted to cook beans in the crockpot, even went out and got some dried pinto beans,so don't I have to soak them overnight? Do they soften up in the crockpot?

      Penni

      --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "carolsrecipes77" <ckpenner77@...> wrote:

      > Pinto Beans And Ham Hocks
      > 1 cup pinto beans
      > 2 smoked ham hocks
      > 1 bay leaf
      > water
      > Place beans and ham hocks in crock pot with bay leaf. Cover with water.
      > Cook overnight or 6 to 8 hours on high. No need to season because ham
      > hocks give dish flavor. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve with
      > cornbread.

    • msclassylady717
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
        I've made plenty of dried beans in the crockpot.. and did NOT pre-soak them.. the one think you need to remember is not to add salt until they end.. salt will make your beans tuff

        msclassylady717/cj  in fla

        --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com , "carolsrecipes77" wrote:

        > Pinto Beans And Ham Hocks
        > 1 cup pinto beans
        > 2 smoked ham hocks
        > 1 bay leaf
        > water
        > Place beans and ham hocks in crock pot with bay leaf. Cover with water.
        > Cook overnight or 6 to 8 hours on high. No need to season because ham
        > hocks give dish flavor. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve with
        > cornbread.

      • Esther
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013
          When I cook my bean soup in the crock pot, I do soak the beans overnight
          first. Then in the morning, I rinse them through them into the crock pot
          with the rest of the ingredients, but my pot on "auto shift" and the soup is
          ready at supper time.

          EstherT

          _____

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2013

             from

            Harry n Texas

             for me, soaking them over night just cuts down the cooking time. that's the only difference. cover with two inches of water & get rid of the floaters.

            I've always wanted to cook beans in the crockpot, even went out and got some dried pinto beans,so don't I have to soak them overnight? Do they soften up in the crockpot?

            Penni

            --- In slowcooker@yahoogroups.com, "carolsrecipes77" wrote:

            > Pinto Beans And Ham Hocks
            > 1 cup pinto beans
            > 2 smoked ham hocks
            > 1 bay leaf
            > water
            > Place beans and ham hocks in crock pot with bay leaf. Cover with water.
            > Cook overnight or 6 to 8 hours on high. No need to season because ham
            > hocks give dish flavor. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve with
            > cornbread.

          • Kathy Finotti
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2013
              I too usually just rinse and sort my beans, cover them with water in the crockpot, add my ham hock (or other form of seasoning) and cook the beans on low all day while I'm at work (I'm usually gone from 7:30 - 5:30).  They always come out tender and delicious!

              ________________________________

              --- In mailto:slowcooker%40yahoogroups.com , "carolsrecipes77" wrote:

              > Pinto Beans And Ham Hocks
              > 1 cup pinto beans
              > 2 smoked ham hocks
              > 1 bay leaf
              > water
              > Place beans and ham hocks in crock pot with bay leaf. Cover with water.
              > Cook overnight or 6 to 8 hours on high. No need to season because ham
              > hocks give dish flavor. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serve with
              > cornbread.

            • braindead_blonde_bimbo
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 8, 2013
                I made a crock pot full of beans yesterday, and they are so good. Thanks to everyone for the helpful hints. I had an onion in the fridge I had cooked on the grill, so added that while cooking, but no other seasoning except the ham hocks. I'm going to make some refried beans with some of them as they're around $2.50-$3.00 a can here I'm the only one in the house that will eat beans, so I'm freezing some of them.

                Penni