Re: [slowcooker] cocoa powder in chili?

  • Karen Richards
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 17 5:23 PM
      I had but sadly lost the most wonderful recipe from a Southern Living
      Christmas Book that had cocoa and beer in it. I would love to find that
      recipe again!
      The cocoa did not supply any sweetness but added a rich deep color and
      added depth of flavor that really enhanced the taste. It was the best
      chili recipe ever!
      Karen

      On 9/17/2012 3:32 PM, denise metzger wrote:
      > i have HEARD of this...... it sounds odd , though. can anyone tell me what the cocoa powder DOES to the chili??
      >

      > Fondly, Denise
      > my ministry website:
      > http://dmm5692.tripod.com/
      >
      > I would like to live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan grumbles and says, "Damn! She's awake."
      >
      > ----
      >

      > God provides! God Provides ! GOD PROVIDES!!!!!!! Denise
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Patty Reyes
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 26 10:09 PM
        This is what I found......

        Will's Really Easy (and Healthy) Crockpot Chicken Mole

        The original version of this classic Mexican Mole recipe is quite complicated
        and time consuming to say the least. This version is a pretty tasty (and easy)
        substitute for the real thing. It also has less than 1/2 the calories and fat of
        the original dish. Important - the two key ingredients are the chocolate cocoa
        powder and peanut butter - please do not leave them out as they both give the
        dish it's signature flavor and taste.

        Ingredients

        3 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
        28 oz can diced tomatoes w/ liquid
        salt and black pepper to taste
        1 onion, chopped
        2 cloves minced garlic or two tbsp pre minced garlic in a jar
        1 cup chicken broth (can use powdered chicken bullion w/ water)
        2 tbsp chili powder
        1 or 2 tbsp jarred and diced jalapeno's (optional)
        1 tsp cumin
        3 heaping tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
        2 heaping tbsp creamy peanut butter
        2 tbsp tapioca or pearled tapioca

        Cooking Instructions:

        Cut chicken into approximately 2" to 3" pieces of any shape and refrigerate.
        Combine rest of ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours
        stirring once or twice. Add refrigerated chicken and cook for another 3 to 4
        hours, again stirring once or twice.

        Serve over rice or bow tie