Re: [slowcooker] Brown Rice

  • Louise Lynch
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 12, 2012
      Just an idea, bought a cheap rice cooker at big lots. It always make perfect rice

      Louise Lynch

      On Jul 12, 2012, at 5:38 PM, cj123@... wrote:

      > I've been trying to eat more brown rice.. to be honest.. I've done it in the slowcooker.. but I hardly follow recipes.. and since I live alone now...doesn't matter if it came out mushy or not..lol... if sometimes comes out wayyyyyyyy mushy... then i just shred up the meats.. ... and more stuff to it.. and make it into a soup..lol but all still good
      >
      > msclassylady717/cj in fla

    • jrfm
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 12, 2012
        Brown rice can be tricky in a slow cooker -- brown rice will turn to
        paste just like white rice, except that it takes a longer.

        A cheap rice cooker -- I had one from Target, which eventually died --
        works very well. Mine, though cheap, had a brown rice setting, and it
        turned off when the rice was done, but well before it turned to paste.

        An arroz con pollo recipe in a slow cooker would probably work, but you
        couldn't turn it on and forget it, which is the strong point of slow
        cooker cookery. You'd need to watch it. The best chicken & rice
        (polished or brown) dish would probably need to be made on stove top, or
        maybe in a covered pot in the oven.

        Regards,

        On 7/12/2012 12:43 PM, PLVanHorn wrote:

        > Has anyone ever tried using brown rice in a crockpot recipe? I'm
        > thinking of trying to make a chicken and rice recipe, and I was
        > wondering whether brown rice would hold up better than white rice.
        > --Pat_n_Paws

        "Tu causes, tu causes, c'est tout ce que tu sais faire."
        ("You talk, you talk, that's all you know how to do")

        -- Leverdure, the parrot, in Raymond Queneau's novel,
        Zazie dans le metro (1959)
      • pennymccumbers@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 13, 2012
          * here is a recipe for crock-pot brown rice.

          Brown Rice In Crock-Pot

          Serves/Makes: 6

          INGREDIENTS:
          5 cups water
          2 cups brown rice
          2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)

          DIRECTIONS:

          Place all ingredients in crockpot. Stir, cover and cook on high for 3
          hours without removing lid. You may want to taste the rice and adjust cooking
          time to suit your taste.

        • PatNPaws
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 13, 2012
            Thanks to everyone who replied----maybe I'll get brave and try it soon. And
            anyway, my dog Boo eats everything.:) --Pat_n_Paws

          • cj123@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 13, 2012
              yesterday.. I had a big pot of red beans cooking in crockpot.. yessssssssss... loveeeeeeeeeee my rice cookers.. yes.. I have more then one.. so while the slow cooker was going.. instead of using rice... I made barley in my rice cooker..... I make more meals in my rice cooker..lol... use it like my slow cooker... and most meals done in around 25 minutes.. in this heat.. need to make life easier and still eat good foods

              msclassylady717/cj in fla