Re: [slowcooker] Re: Carmelized Onions

  • Lance M
    Message 1 of 20 , May 21, 2012
      What's the ratio of raw onions to carmelized onions? How much does one
      onion reduce to?
      So say I want to replace raw onions in a spaghetti sauce, for example.
      The recipe calls for one chopped onion.
      How much carmelized onions would I put in?

      >Did my onions the other week and what a wonderful smell to have meeting you
      >at the door! Can anyone share some of the food ideas that you use the
      >onions in? I already promised dh (dear hubby) onion soup..
      =====
    • shelley Whitteker
      Message 2 of 20 , May 22, 2012
        Can you please repost the recipe please, i would love to make this at home for our busy nights.

        thanks a bunch
        Shelley

        To: slowcooker@yahoogroups.com
        From: monarch@...
        Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 00:44:47 -0500
        Subject: Re: [slowcooker] Re: Carmelized Onions

        What's the ratio of raw onions to carmelized onions? How much does one
        onion reduce to?
        So say I want to replace raw onions in a spaghetti sauce, for example.
        The recipe calls for one chopped onion.
        How much carmelized onions would I put in?

        >Did my onions the other week and what a wonderful smell to have meeting you
        >at the door! Can anyone share some of the food ideas that you use the
        >onions in? I already promised dh (dear hubby) onion soup..

      • Charlotte
        Message 3 of 20 , May 22, 2012
          You are getting too scientific. Put in a gob - small, med or large depending upon how much flavor you want.

          Charlotte
          from my iPhone

          On May 22, 2012, at 12:44 AM, Lance M wrote:

          > What's the ratio of raw onions to carmelized onions? How much does one onion reduce to? So The recipe calls for one chopped onion. How much carmelized onions would I put in?
        • Charlotte
          Message 4 of 20 , May 22, 2012
            It's a recipe of the month winner. Look in the links for the exact recipe.
            The gist of it is 1 stick of butter to however many sliced onions will fill up your crock. Crock on high stirring occasionally until all are caramelized. It will take most of the day to cook.

            Charlotte
            from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 20 , May 22, 2012
              Hey, I'm a geek. I need measures!
              A gob to me, I'm sure, is not a gob to you.
              Alton Brown is not my cooking hero for nuthin!

              >You are getting too scientific. Put in a gob - small, med or large depending upon how much flavor you want.
              >
              >Charlotte
              >from my iPhone
              >
              >On May 22, 2012, at 12:44 AM, Lance M wrote:
              >
              >> What's the ratio of raw onions to carmelized onions? How much does one onion reduce to? So The recipe calls for one chopped onion. How much carmelized onions would I put in?
              =====
            • Pamela Beach
              Message 6 of 20 , May 23, 2012
                Since raw onions are not all the same size, I suggest you do a little research of your own: weigh a few onions, caramelize them and then measure/weigh the result. You would also have to account for the amount of fat you used to caramelized them. As far as using a "glob" in something like spaghetti sauce, I'd start with a little at a time. I do not like my spaghetti sauce too sweet so I probably wouldn't add any caramelized onions. Pam
              • Myron Menaker
                Message 7 of 20 , May 23, 2012
                  Dear Shelley,

                  There are several versions of this recipe. I fill my crock with peeled
                  whole onions, place a stick (1/4 lb.) of butter on top and crock on low
                  until they darken and collapse.
                  (This can take 10-12 hours....watch the pot!)

                  I usually use sweet onions and, coincidentally, Aldi has them on
                  sale....2 lbs. for 69ยข.

                  One of my all-time favorite crockpot recipes....enjoy!

                  Myron

                  --

                  .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:. .:~*~:.
                  Myron Menaker Daytona Beach FL USA

                • Marsha Kostman
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 23, 2012
                    Lance said:

                    Hey, I'm a geek. I need measures!
                    A gob to me, I'm sure, is not a gob to you.
                    Alton Brown is not my cooking hero for nuthin!

                    You need to do an experiment to find out for yourself. You may have a few measuring cups to wash...but then you'll have your measure.

                    Caramelize X number of onions. Divide the caramelized onions by 1/4 cup measures. I'm guessing one onion will cook down to at least 1/4 cup, but it could be less.

                    Then, report back to the list on the results. That way, we'll all know. ;-)

                    Marsha
                    in southern Illinois

                  • Lance M
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 23, 2012
                      I guess I'll have to do that.
                      One of the reasons I want to use carmelized onions is to replace the
                      brown sugar. Never thot that belongs in a tomato sauce dish.