Re: With much sadness

  • HERBERT RASKIN
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
      are you going to bury it in "Potters" Field?

      Herbie Munchmobiler Raskin
    • Rick and Jan Lloyd
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 8, 2012
        My favorite pot is the West Bend. the pot sits on a base and has 5
        temperature settings. I am on my 2nd one. my first one was from Sears
        (about 30 years ago!)

        It says you can use the base as a griddle, but I have never done that. I
        got mine from target.com.

        I recently got a 6 qt oval from Wal-Mart (RED) that I like, however it does
        cook HOT on low. I do all of my cooking on low all day and it hasn't really
        mattered that much, except that when I get home sometimes the liquid is at a
        near boil.

        Good luck with whichever one you do get!

        Jan in SoCal

      • Lesley Anne Dickerson
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 9, 2012
          I sold [a vintage] one using eBay and it reached the buyer in tip top shape.

          It was a gold coloured Rival.

          xox

          =============
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 9, 2012
            I don't have a suggestion for where to find an older model beyond what's already been mentioned, but I thought I'd mention that I have 3 pots.  All of  mine are 10 years old or less and I've found that different brands cook differently.  When I'm making something brothy or a stock or something, I use my Rival 5 qt. because even on low, it cooks on a fairly high boil.  But if I want to make something I want to be sure won't burn, I use my Hamilton Beach 4 qt. - even though it's a "newer" model it cooks on a low simmer like I believe it should.  So, it may be worth looking for some reviews on different brands to see if they cook a little better.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 9, 2012
              I feel your pain. I, too, had that death in the family and have not been
              able to find another.

              Look in the resale shops, garage sales - they will be starting up around
              here eventually! - check out and post on the e-sales sites, of which there
              are a zillion. If you really want to replace this exact crocker, it might
              not be easy, but it can be done.

              Peggy E.

            • MMM139@AOL.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 9, 2012
                In a message dated 3/9/2012 6:15:52 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                herbieraskin@... writes:

                are you going to bury it in "Potters" Field?

                Good one!

                Maryann

              • Lynn
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 9, 2012
                  That's what I'm hoping Peggy!
                  Thanks
                  Lynn

                  On 3/9/2012 8:12 AM, Peggy Elliott wrote:
                  > I feel your pain. I, too, had that death in the family and have not been
                  > able to find another.
                  >
                  > Look in the resale shops, garage sales - they will be starting up around
                  > here eventually! - check out and post on the e-sales sites, of which there
                  > are a zillion. If you really want to replace this exact crocker, it might
                  > not be easy, but it can be done.
                  >
                  > Peggy E.
                  >

                  > At 04:21 PM 3/8/2012, you wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I'm announcing the demise of my all time, very favorite, cooks perfectly
                  >> crockpot! I've had it and used it for at least 20 years. It's never
                  >> burned, always cooked just right....never too hot like I find the newer
                  >> ones to do. Wondering if anyone can suggest where I can find an "older"
                  >> crockpot, besides Salvation Army. I'd really like to get a new one. It
                  >> was a Rival 3104/3. Had a plastic lid. Did not have the removeable
                  >> stoneware crock.
                  >> Any help appreciated!
                  >> Lynn
                  >>
                  >> --

                • Lynn
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 9, 2012
                    SIlly me, never thought of a different one that would cook the same.
                    lol. Which Hamilton Beach do you have?
                    Lynn

                    On 3/9/2012 6:49 AM, Sarah L wrote:
                    > I don't have a suggestion for where to find an older model beyond what's already been mentioned, but I thought I'd mention that I have 3 pots. All of mine are 10 years old or less and I've found that different brands cook differently. When I'm making something brothy or a stock or something, I use my Rival 5 qt. because even on low, it cooks on a fairly high boil. But if I want to make something I want to be sure won't burn, I use my Hamilton Beach 4 qt. - even though it's a "newer" model it cooks on a low simmer like I believe it should. So, it may be worth looking for some reviews on different brands to see if they cook a little better.
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Lynn
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 9, 2012
                      Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
                      Lynn

                      On 3/8/2012 10:59 PM, Rick and Jan Lloyd wrote:
                      > My favorite pot is the West Bend. the pot sits on a base and has 5
                      > temperature settings. I am on my 2nd one. my first one was from Sears
                      > (about 30 years ago!)
                      >
                      > It says you can use the base as a griddle, but I have never done that. I
                      > got mine from target.com.
                      >
                      > I recently got a 6 qt oval from Wal-Mart (RED) that I like, however it does
                      > cook HOT on low. I do all of my cooking on low all day and it hasn't really
                      > mattered that much, except that when I get home sometimes the liquid is at a
                      > near boil.
                      >
                      > Good luck with whichever one you do get!
                      >
                      > Jan in SoCal

                    • Sarah L
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 10, 2012
                        Well, I went to look because I didn't know offhand, and I discovered it's not a Hamilton Beach at all!  It's a Rival 4.5 qt., model 3164.  It's interesting to me that it cooks so differently than my Rival 5 qt. since their ages are not that different.  My 4.5 qt. is almost 10 years old and my 5 qt. is, I think, 4 years old.

                        So I guess I'm not much help at all! :)

                        ________________________________
                        SIlly me, never thought of a different one that would cook the same.
                        lol. Which Hamilton Beach do you have?
                        Lynn

                        On 3/9/2012 6:49 AM, Sarah L wrote:
                        > I don't have a suggestion for where to find an older model beyond what's already been mentioned, but I thought I'd mention that I have 3 pots. All of mine are 10 years old or less and I've found that different brands cook differently. When I'm making something brothy or a stock or something, I use my Rival 5 qt. because even on low, it cooks on a fairly high boil. But if I want to make something I want to be sure won't burn, I use my Hamilton Beach 4 qt. - even though it's a "newer" model it cooks on a low simmer like I believe it should. So, it may be worth looking for some reviews on different brands to see if they cook a little better.
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Lynn
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 10, 2012
                          Oh, but you are a help Sarah! I'm willing to try the 3164.....and this
                          is the one that actually cooks "slow and low", yes?
                          Thanks!
                          Lynn

                          On 3/10/2012 6:07 AM, Sarah L wrote:
                          > Well, I went to look because I didn't know offhand, and I discovered it's not a Hamilton Beach at all! It's a Rival 4.5 qt., model 3164. It's interesting to me that it cooks so differently than my Rival 5 qt. since their ages are not that different. My 4.5 qt. is almost 10 years old and my 5 qt. is, I think, 4 years old.
                          >
                          > So I guess I'm not much help at all! :)
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Sarah L
                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 11, 2012
                            Hi Lynn,

                            Well, the temperature control options are Off, Low, and High, but I find even the high setting cooks fairly slow, I think.  I tend to use low for everything, though.  But, low is, I think, quite low.  I've never had issue with burning anything on the low setting.

                            I wish you luck in your search!
                            Sarah

                            ________________________________
                            Oh, but you are a help Sarah! I'm willing to try the 3164.....and this
                            is the one that actually cooks "slow and low", yes?
                            Thanks!
                            Lynn

                            On 3/10/2012 6:07 AM, Sarah L wrote:
                            > Well, I went to look because I didn't know offhand, and I discovered it's not a Hamilton Beach at all! It's a Rival 4.5 qt., model 3164. It's interesting to me that it cooks so differently than my Rival 5 qt. since their ages are not that different. My 4.5 qt. is almost 10 years old and my 5 qt. is, I think, 4 years old.
                            >
                            > So I guess I'm not much help at all! :)
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Michelle Belt
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 11, 2012
                              Goodwill > Thirft Stores > ask on freecycle if you belong to one > I use
                              those all the time and I have made many a awesome find

                              On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Lynn <lynnwilliams924@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > I'm announcing the demise of my all time, very favorite, cooks perfectly
                              > crockpot! I've had it and used it for at least 20 years. It's never
                              > burned, always cooked just right....never too hot like I find the newer
                              > ones to do. Wondering if anyone can suggest where I can find an "older"
                              > crockpot, besides Salvation Army. I'd really like to get a new one. It
                              > was a Rival 3104/3. Had a plastic lid. Did not have the removeable
                              > stoneware crock.
                              > Any help appreciated!
                              > Lynn
                              >
                              > --
                              > Making a difference, one bird at a time!
                              > http://www.parrottoyangels.com

                              and those who matter don't mind.
                              Michelle and Stephen in PA