Re: [slowcooker] Re: Recipes Versus Size of Slow Cooker

  • Lance M
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 8, 2012
      I wonder if that's for the new ones, or maybe some types of cp?

      Most of the ones I have are the older models. For them, the temp for low
      setting is just under 200°F, a slow simmer. It reaches that in one maybe
      two hours but stays there however long you cook. The high is a fairly
      vigorous boil and it takes a little longer but gets there in roughly 3
      hrs.

      >Cooking on high does not change the temperature the crockpot cooks at. All
      >it does is change the amount of time it takes the crockpot to reach the
      >simmer point temperature.
      >
      >Typical cook time for Crock-Pot® slow cookers to reach simmer point (209°F):
      >Low: 7-8 to reach the simmer point
      >High: 3-4 hours to reach the simmer point
      =====
    • John Fisher
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 9, 2012
        Could you please elaborate on the cooking on high verses low? I'm not
        understanding how something can get to a simmering point faster without
        something being different - heat, or ???

        Thanks, Cheri

        On 3/7/2012 8:14 PM, KT wrote:

        > Cooking on high does not change the temperature the crockpot cooks at.
        > All
        > it does is change the amount of time it takes the crockpot to reach the
        > simmer point temperature.
        >
        > Typical cook time for Crock-Pot® slow cookers to reach simmer point
        > (209°F):
        > Low: 7-8 to reach the simmer point
        > High: 3-4 hours to reach the simmer point
        >
        > I usually try to make sure hard veggies are on the bottom of the pot
        > so they
        > are in liquid if they are only going to cook for a short time.
        >
        > Be Well,
        > Katie

      • KT
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 10, 2012
          Sorry I'm not an engineer for Crock Pot so I don't really know how to
          explain it. You could call their customer service or read about it on the
          website for more exact information.

          My understanding is that it is similar to how other slow cookers work.
          Meaning Crock Pots start at a low temperature and slowly brings the food in
          pot up to the desired simmer point and then reduces the power to maintain
          that temperature (which is why you aren't suppose to take the lid off as it
          allows heat to escape). Kind of like when you use a high temperature to get
          water boiling then lower the temperature to allow whatever is in the pan to
          simmer for a period. The high setting starts at a high temperature than
          after a set time reduces the power to just maintain the correct simmer
          point. The low setting starts at a lower temperature, takes a longer time
          frame to get to the set simmer point then reduces the power to maintain that
          temperature rather than keep raising it.

          Be Well,
          Katie

          On 3/7/2012 8:14 PM, KT wrote:

          > Cooking on high does not change the temperature the crockpot cooks at.
          > All
          > it does is change the amount of time it takes the crockpot to reach the
          > simmer point temperature.
          >
          > Typical cook time for Crock-Pot® slow cookers to reach simmer point
          > (209°F):
          > Low: 7-8 to reach the simmer point
          > High: 3-4 hours to reach the simmer point
          >
          > I usually try to make sure hard veggies are on the bottom of the pot
          > so they
          > are in liquid if they are only going to cook for a short time.
          >
          > Be Well,
          > Katie

        • Iris Pearson
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 13, 2012
            The vegetables should have gone under the roast as they tend to take longer to cook.

            Iris

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 14, 2012
              I have a 7 quart crockpot that is sometimes “too big” but sometimes my 5 Qt.
              is too small.

              I put half a dozen cut up potatoes, about 6-8 carrots, both sliced into
              chunks on the bottom of the pot.

              I Added about a 4 – 5 lb. roast. Mixed together one package of dry brown
              gravy mix, dry ranch dressing mix, (didn’t have the Italian salad dressing
              mix, though)

              and about ½ cup of water. Then I tossed in a package of Lipton’s onion soup
              mix, about 1/3 cup of coffee, about 1/3 cup of red wine. Poured over roast,
              cooked on low all day. Started it at

              About 7:30 AM, ate it about 6:30 Pm…

              Veggies were perfectly cooked, roast fell apart.

              I don’t think I have ever had under done veggies, in either one of my
              favorite pots!

              It is suggested that the pot should be half full for proper cooking
              temperature, but sometime mine is filled more, sometimes less… always seems
              to taste just right!

              If you don’t have enough in it, it might cook too hot, I believe.

              Just my thoughts!

              Jan in SoCal

              _____

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 14, 2012
                Bet it was delish--but, gosh, the salt content scares me..
                Am always looking for tasty but low salt dishes.